Taking It To The Next Level...advice Needed Gals!!

Business By sweetonyouzz Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 10:41pm by sweetonyouzz

sweetonyouzz Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 12

Well, I opened 6 months ago using rented kitchens to see if this would be worth it!

Long story short, I called the health inspector for my area and had her in to see if it was possible to do this from home. My hubby is quite handy and our daughter moved out this month so there is a nice space in my lower level for my business to go in.

Happy to say that YES!! I can build and legally operate from home. We have submitted the plans and are buying materials. Our health inspector is so supportive of women owning and operating a home businessl..she has been just great.

For the gals that have legal , separate kitchens...a couple of questions. I want an oven that can fit a bigger cake pan without buying the big proff. oven. Any ideas? Also, I am building a cake consult room next to it with displays of fake cakes and artificial flowers so my brides can have consults in a bright and comfy room. I have a flat tv that will go in this room that I want to run pictures of cakes....Do you think this is a good idea? I just think it makes it a little more professional.

Does anyone also have any ideas for wholesale companies for a small mixer that would hold about 20 quarts? I have the big kitchen-aid but I find it way too small these days. I was thinking of a large mixer and perhaps two kitchen aids.

Any ideas would be helpful...I am so excited about being able to bake from home. I want to be moderately busy but not crazy so I do not want to buy huge ovens, etc. I already have everything else, pans, molds, airbrush, edible printer, thank goodness. I think I can offer a nice quality of cake and a lot of services that are hard to come by in my area such as good quality gumpaste flowers. Thanks ahead for any good advice and positive comments!!
Joanne icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
1234me Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 12

can't chime in on much here other than look at local auctions for a 20qt hobart mixer. that is wehre I got mine and although it was expensive, it was worth every penny! Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 12

http://www.restaurantmall.com/product-p/smac-m20a.htm

I mean I just don't think you can do better than this. Brand new. Free shipping. All the attachments. Get outa here!

We just had a bakery go out of business (sniff) and at auction--the 20 qt Anvil went for $977.50--plus you had to bid on the attachments separately.

So you can see what a tremendous deal that is ^^^^ above with free freaking shipping? I mean I'm not especially knowledgeable with that brand but it's probably got a warranty. If you were making bread for a fast food place--no not that one--cookies, icings, cake should be no problem. And it ain't a 220 it's a plug in & go. Stainless steeel bowl--doesn't get much better than that.

The 30 quart Hobart at the auction went for $1415 plus separate bids for each attachment which was pretty much a steal of a deal.

I'd like you to consider the Radiant Ray DeLuxe Cake ovens--even the three tray one--look it up on Earlene's site if you wanna know more--her's is a 4 tray I think. No fire suppression system needed and you can bake entire tier cakes at one time. What like 30-40 minutes. Consider what the shortened bake time will do for your utility bill in the summer.

And Multiplied Congratulations!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 12

And I'd put the tv where I could watch it while I work.

Many cake blessings to you and sweet success on your new venture.

ccr03 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 12

TV is a great idea. My BIL and sis have it in there shop (other business) and people love it. GREAT way to show your inventory.

sweetonyouzz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 12

thanks so much! I am going to really consider the 20qrt mixer as I had one at work and I loved it so much! I also am going to look into the oven that was suggested. The drywalling will be done by my X as he is a good friend of mine and also a carpenter. I am tired of baking half rounds of the bigger cakes. The sink and the oven is going to be the biggest investments as we got the kitchen cabinets given for free and I already have more gear than I probably will ever use. Also about the tv...I was lucky as I just bought a new sofa set for upstairs and they gave a tv for free with it. I have to have a tv when I am working..,.,.,a little nutty but it just seems to provide company for me...lol..thanks for all the great suggestions...I really appreciate then all!!
Jo

Apti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 12

What a marveous post, sweetonyouzz. Sounds like you have an excellent head for business and are doing everything the right way. Many, many congratulations and best wishes for a business that is successfull AND enjoyable!

thecakeprincess Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 12

Good luck to you!

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 12

You are living out my dream!! Only the best wishes to you for great success and no stress. I would make sure to have a great computer and softwear for billing and ordering. I can't wait to see pictures when your shop is complete. CONGRATS!! (yes I'm yelling it).

~~}i{~~
icon_lol.gif

sweetonyouzz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks!!! People like you are why I LOVE this site. It is the only place that I can go with my 'cake' issues where I know that I can always get sound advice and people who have the same concerns that I do!

I will for sure post a picture when I am done. It is not going to be fancy but it is going to be mine!

Jo

emrldsky Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 12

If you just want to use the TV to display pictures, I'd just move it into the kitchen area for my own viewing and buy a digital photo frame for the meeting area. icon_smile.gif Just a thought.

This way, you can watch tutorials, learn new skills, be entertained while working, etc. and you don't need to spend a lot of money for the photo frame.

Congrats and good luck!!

sweetonyouzz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 12

I actually plan to use the tv for digitals only when doing my bridal consults and for watching when I am baking. Thanks so much for the imput!

My bakery is going to be an L shaped room with the sinks and the cleaning area in the crook of the room and down the wall will be my mixer, oven-2 kitchen counters and cabinets above them for storage. The plan is to make a small display area on the other side of the room with a small meeting area,my computer and edible printing station along with my paperwork, etc. It is certainly not going to look as beautiful as some of the home bakeries (they look so amazing!!) but it is going to have a heatlh dept certificate and i will not have to drag my equipment to a rented kitchen and with our winters out here I am going to be so thankful for that!

My goal is to make it look clean and interesting. So many of my brides came to me because they would go into a super busy bakery and they just did not get personal service. I plan to not max myself out but rather enjoy and create! I also am going to do some seasonal baking such as gingerbread houses and goodie trays as nice ones are hard to find in our area and I do miss being a baker....just want to do it on more of a small scale.

Jo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%