Cookie Icing .....uggh

Baking By Jopalis Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm by Montrealconfections

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 4

It always seems my cookie icing is either too thick or too thin. I am never happy with how my cookies turn out and look enviously at the pics of such professional looking cookies on here. I have tried Wiltons, Toba's glace... Antonia's... and now Nigellas. It's obviously isn't the icing but me. So.... I need some advice for flooding and detail work. I know practice makes perfect but some advice other than that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Icing Cookie Challenged....... Doyou use the squeeze bottles or decorator bags, etc.....

3 replies
Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

Jopalis, I just looked at your halloween cookies. They're AMAZING. What are you talking about. I couldn't even come close to those. That's why I use MRBC. It's so funny how hard we are on ourselves when we critique our own work. I don't think you can see how beautiful they are. icon_biggrin.gif

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 4

I agree, your cookies look fine to me !

Just remember to take a bit of time to get the feel of the icing and remember towards the end when getting your colours mixed etc, that you only add a teaspoon of water at a time to get your consistencies, also dont forget the 10 second rule. Watch how it melts back into itself in the bowl, or do a drip across the bench as a test to see if its at the consistency you want before adding to your bag or bottle.

Last night when doing some mouths, I thought I had it right and then after using a knife to do a line across a plate discovered it would have spread everywhere. It save me the whole hassle of emptying a bag etc. I just added more ps and I was on a role !

To answer your other question. I am a bag lady thru and thru. I have bottles, but dont use them very often.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 4

The icing consistency is key figured out with trial & error, your right that the type of icing doesn't really matter it's all practice and what works for you. I pip my borders with a piping bag and flood with a bottle, the squeeze bottle allows me to set it down with no mess as well as to work with 1 hand. Like the previous person said the icing needs to melt back together in the bowl I actually add my water with an eye dropper, the line between just right & too runny is miniscule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%