Royal Icing Wont Dry....

Baking By CookieCrush Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm by bonniebakes

CookieCrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrush Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 8

Made a batch of royal icing for sugar cookies, and this morning its still tacky. First of all it was way to thin starting out... so I added more meringue powder, and still it was to loose... so I added about a teaspoon more powder sugar... It was very cold in my house last night when I woke up it was about 69 degrees. Can anyone plz help me figure out y, so I will not do it again. O and right now, i have the heater on... the cookies near the vent in hopes that they will dry out for packing later on. Advice is needed. thanks

7 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 8

What recipe do you use? I use the 1 lb PS, 3Tbs meringue,6Tbs water, and I mix it for about 7-10 minutes (Antonia's proportions are good too) While I'm mixing I can tell if it's to thin or thick and I add PS or water to adjust . Even after I'm done mixing I sometimes need to adjust when I get ready to use it. Just keep adding small amounts of sifted PS or water to get consistancy right. The other issue about setting could be grease on mixing bowl or paddle, everything has to be grease free or it won't set. Even if the icing was to thin it should still set after 24 hours. 69 degrees shouldn't affect it. High humidity could be a problem.

Good Luck

CookieCrush Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

I use the wilton recipe. Its never given me a problem before. Im glad to say that the icing did harden and I was able to package it. Today I will Dawn everything I use, just to be sure there is no grease. Thanks for all the help!!!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 8

I'm glad it worked.. I hate those close calls...

CookieCrush Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #5 of 8

lol, i know. very close call

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8

I've had that happen to me over the summer. Its a bummer when the RI decides not to dry. I noticed it either doesn't dry or dries dull if it is too humid or if I add flavoring after adding the water (instead of mixing it all togather or adding it first).

I'm happy it worked out for you. I know those close calls can be nerve racking.

CookieCrush Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 6:23am
post #7 of 8

It had to be the humidity. Im in Louisiana, and last night we had a cold front come in. Well my house was super cold over the night, i had them in a case so nada would get on them, and with all the stone floors, this place gets pretty damp. After freaking out and calling the client. I turned the heater on and placed them uncovered on top the fridge. About an hour later and they were dry. Thank God. I couldn't package them wet. So so so glad they dried too.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 8

yep, humidity really affects drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%