Can U Freeze Cake Batter??

Baking By sshelley Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm by denetteb

sshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshelley Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

I remember reading a forum about freezing cake batter. I just can't seem to find it. So I was wondering if I freeze it will it be okay? Will it rise like normal? I just thought it would take up less space in the freezer than if bake a cake and freeze it. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 7

Yes you can. I haven't tried it myself but on the Wilton site some did a test and it baked fine. There have also been some threads on CC lately and they also have had good luck with freezing batter. I think most put the batter in a ziplock, squeeze out the extra air and freeze. Maybe next time I bake I will freeze a little to try it out myself.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 7

I've done it. I freeze it in a plastic tub. I let it defrost in the fridge, put it in a prepared pan, and bake. If the batter is cold, it takes a little longer and I think the cakes are a bit "stickier" on top when done (I bake WASC cakes most of the time), but the texture and taste are like normal.

Rae

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 7

Oh wow. I'm really surprised.
Actually I thought it was always a race against time having batter even just sitting on the bench while I stuff around with having the 1st batch already baking and the rest of the batter still out on the bench... greasing tins etc etc..

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:58am
post #5 of 7

I am glad to hear this! My first thought was no! I always make cupcakes with any extra batter that I have around, but I may have to try the freezing method next time. icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 7

I would assume this is only really good for denser cakes that don't get airrated?...

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

Rats, I made some cupcakes yesterday and forgot to freeze some. When people have frozen I think they have used traditional cake batters. I don't think it would work for a chiffon or something that uses beaten egg whites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%