Wedding Cake Buttercream

Decorating By Neese003 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm by ddaigle

Neese003 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

I need a good recipe for a buttercream that's not too greasy/tastes good, but also holds up well under fondant covered cake layers. Thanx in advance!

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 6

My basic buttercrem I use for everything- filling, icing, decorating, crumb coating & under fondant.
I'm not one to measure my BC (I know crazy for a baker!) I know it by taste & texture, but here are the instructions for one 32 oz bag of powdered sugar.
Cream together 1 stick unsalted butter & 1 stick margarine with a dash of vanilla and a dash of lemon juice (probably close to 2 tsp vanilla & 1 tsp lemon juice. add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time on low mixing the whole time, adfter all the sugar is combined add a litle milk (probably 1-1 tbsp) until you get the right consistency, then whip on med/ high (6 on my kitchenaid) for 1 min. Add more milk to thin out more and get a smoother icing, add less for a stiffer icing for decorating. You can also substiture almost amy extract for the vanilla- almond is really good too.

VaBelle Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

I'm relatively new to cake decorating, but I think it depends on where you're located. I really like a recipe with butter, but I've found when it's warm and humid, it melts. If I use a shortening only recipe (I prefer hi-ratio) it holds up better. I think they're both good, but I think shortening only is a little sweeter. I use the Wilton recipes and I haven't had any issues yet.

shearpamela Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 6

You should try sugarshack's recipe and indydeb's recipe, they are both great tasting and do well under fondant for me.

jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 6

My white velvet buttercream recipe gets rave reviews. It's in the recipe section here on CC. It's listed as Jibbies White Velvet Buttercream.

Jibbies

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 6

I use the buttercream dream recipe which is butter & shortening. If it is a super hot Louisiana day and I'm traveling with a cake, then I use a straight shortening recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%