Ben10 Cake - Lessons Learnt

Decorating By nadia0411 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm by snowshoe1

nadia0411 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 2

Hi CCers,
Hope you all are doing great. Recently i made a comeback with a ben10 watch cake for 40 servings. As usual, I got a lot of help from this forum and i would like to thank shellyscakes, cakebaker1978, tee-Y, bumblebee and Ariginal for taking out time to answer my questions.
Here are a few lessons I learnt hoping that somebody can benefit.
1. This was my first time with covering a large board with fondant and you can easily do it by rolling it directly on the foil covered board. do it a couple of days before and it will dry well.
2. I feel the watch should be a little 'flat' rather than 'tall' . I kept the following ratios: 8x3" square, 6x3" circle, 6x3" square halved for straps. It should have been 10x2, 8x2 and 8x2.
3. For the above cakes 1.5 pounds chocolate was enough for ganache, no fillings.
4. Fondant quantity was enough for 2.5 kg, i made MFF
5. I made chocolate fondant and then colored it black, it tasted much better and lot less color was added. Made it couple of days before.
6. I should have given more time in between, torting, filling, ganaching and covering fondant to give it neater look.
7. I made plaque 3-4 days before, just by printing out the logo, tracing it on gumpaste and then cutting with axacto knife. when dried, it was stuck with toothpick using RI and inserted into the cake.
8. Green color was made by simply adding leaf green of wiltons.
9. Make ganache a day before or let it rest in fridge for couple of hours uncovered to reach the desired consistency of peanut butter for frosting.

These were the answers to some questions, i searched for and got answers through personal messages or forums.
Thanks alot once again and i hope someone gets benefited.

here is the link to my pic.

1 reply
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 2

Thanks for sharing your tips! Your cake turned out great - really like the structure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%