Stack A 3 Tier Cake With A Primary Central Pillar?

Decorating By Brunbabe Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm by DianeLM

Brunbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brunbabe Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there guys,

I have my first wedding cake and it is for a friend.. she wants a 3 tier heart cake with petals around the bottom which is seperated with a round cylinder 'post' in the centre. This would easily be 3-4 inches from the outside of the cake so faily narrow and I am concerned about the cakes 'balancing' I am trying to work out how to support it properly, I have to travel a distance so will transport seperately.

I'm thinking the cylinder in between will be 3-4 round cake boards together??

Here are my thoughts:

Glue the boards together (with royal icing or actual glue??)
Individually dowel each tier as per normal......OR... put holes in the boards and have one central as well as individual dowls??? If I have a central one, should I screw it to the bottom and put the cakes on top OR drive through the top.

There is nothing on the top so can only go through bottom 2 tiers so need to ensure glue is good to support top cake.

Also I'm thinking 14 inch and 11 inch to feed 75 people??

3 replies
Brunbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brunbabe Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 4

Here is the pic.

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 4

Brunbabe, I have done these balancing acts before but I am a bit confused. You are making a 3 tier cake but you only mention a 14 and 11 inch tier. Is that because the top tier is being saved for the anniversary? Also, is the separation going to be between the first two tiers and the top tier or between the bottom tier and the other two tiers? What is the post made of? I think I can help but I need to know some details. Also, the picture you tried to post didn't come through.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 4

I think I get what you're saying.

While you're gluing, glue the center separator to the bottom of the cake board above it. That way, it's all one piece. This will only really work if the center separator is at least 4-5 inches in diameter.

Another option is to get a center post cake stand like the Wilton tall tier, or one of those cupcake stands. Kind of pricey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%