Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow Cake/scratch Baking Question

Baking By janebrophy Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm by sweetpea223

janebrophy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 9

I just found this recipe. I made the newer version, with the cup of milk. I loved the cake. I'm still new to scratch baking cakes, so maybe it's just me, but I found the recipe made two 8 x 2" rounds. I have been using box mixes, and I find it hard to get used to how scratch cakes don't rise....I would normally bake a box mix and then trim and torte, but with scratch I find I'm baking each individual layer.....so instead of baking 2 rounds I bake 4. Also, I normally end up with 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling in each finished cake. With this one, although I was using layers of the same height, I found that 3 was enough??? I'm stumped. icon_smile.gif I love the taste of scratch and will eventually be scratch only, but am finding the switch harder than I thought! LOL Is it just me? Any advice???

8 replies
sweetpea223 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 9

just wondering...normally a scratch recipe would say how many pans to prepare...and it's usually (2) 9" pans...but if you're going to reduce the size of the pans, of course your batter will yield more. Most recipes are for 9x2 pans or they can fit in a 9x13 unless otherwise indicated.

Hope this helps...

traci_doodle Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 9

Are you saying that you have to double the recipe to get the same amount of cake as a box mix?

sweetpea223 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Are you saying that you have to double the recipe to get the same amount of cake as a box mix?

@Traci_doodle: not necessarily... the recipes usually tell you how many pans to use...if you check the chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream at epicurious.com... it tells you to grease (2) 9x2 inch pans... Now if you want to use the same recipe and want 8"pans, it will somehow yield into (3) 8" pans or (2) 8" and (1) 6" round pans. If I am not layering it, I would use a 9x13 pan to make it a bigger looking cake...but if I want it layered, I double the recipe to get a layered rectangle cake.

Did I confuse you more? icon_lol.gif

traci_doodle Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Sweetpea223. Although I was actually trying to understand the original post. First it says that scratch cakes don't rise as well, but then it says you only use 3 of your layers for a scratch cake, instead of the 4 you use for a mix. That doesn't make sense to me.

snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 9

It's very seldom that I trust what the recipe tells me. If I'm going to test out something I determine the volume after mixing (by weighing it) then making my own notes.

For example, the Sylvia chocolate cake says it makes two 8" rounds - NOPE! It makes a lot more!

A little off topic, but I use the 'old' Syliva yellow cake with sour cream and find this bakes up much nicer then the one with milk. Anyone else experience this?

sweetpea223 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 9

@snowshoe: I should try that... I liked the outcome of the SW's yellow cake but I did something wrong when I used her revised recipe way back when they did the Great Yellow Scratch cake off... next time I will test it again. Thanks for the tip! True too that it depends on the day and time of the year...the volume does speak for itself...the more the merrier!

@traci_doodle: icon_redface.gif sorry...i thought you were commenting on my post.

janebrophy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 9

snowshoe, I haven't tried the original recipe...I will try it this week and see if that makes a difference.
traci - i know I'm not making sense lol, i think that's why I'm so confused! LOL
For an 8 x 2 cake, I would normally put in 1 box mix. That would bake, and I could torte it and get 2 layers....With the Weinstock recipe, I get those same 2 layers only I have to bake them in 2 pans...so I guess it's just extra baking time. As far as stacking 3 instead of 4 layers, the cake just seemed too dense to put on a 4th layer...maybe it was too dense simply because I used the cup of milk?

sweetpea223 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 9

@Janebrophy: some people don't torte their cakes, so they use 2 cakes to make a 2 layer cake... I prefer torting them whether I bake my scratch recipes in 2 pans... the more layers, the better for me... I don't mind getting too much cakes, coz I just wrap them and freeze them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%