How To Get This Pleating Look

Decorating By lanana Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 6:21am by auzzi

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #1 of 7

Does any one have any idea how to achieve the bottom look of this cake? this one belongs to the sugar master decorator mrs. mercedes strachwsky.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=430697681521&set=t.100000828188280&pid=5606698&id=176779576521

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:02am
post #2 of 7

Yes, you would roll fondant thin. You could have 70%fondant and 30% g/p mixture. Roll thin. Cut in sections the length and width you need. Pleat by putting dowels or skewers underneath and then lay dowels or skewers on top in between the bottom ones.Press together. Let sit just a moment or two and then put sugar glue on cake where you will lay this pieces. Be sure to hem the edges of this sections(turn edges back , so when you lay each section on cake, they join pretty. hope i have made sense. Put the tier that is on top of this tier on first and then measure from there.Just tuck ends of sections under bottom of cake.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #3 of 7

I agree with Icer101, however I think there might be another way to do this. After enlarging the photo the bottom layer is definitely done using the pleating technique. I would be tempted to use an extruder gun and create thin logs and place them over a fondant covered layer which would give a much more even look.

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 7

thank you!! do you think she carved, cover in fondant and then cover the cake with the pleads?? I tried to contact her but she is in Hong Kong teaching her magnificent techniques.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7

i would use the extruder also, or do them by hand rolling

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:49am
post #6 of 7

Personally, If she used fondant to make the pleats she probably has a coating of buttercream beneath the pleats. There really would be no reason for a 2nd layer of fondant. Plus, it would make the layer way too heavy.

If you ever get a response from her would you mind sharing it with us here on CC?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:21am
post #7 of 7

wrong one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%