Battery Operated Icing Pen

Decorating By Maier Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm by 03FLSTF

Maier Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

Looking thru the adds on bed bath and beyond. I see a battery operated frosting deco pen. Would love some info on these...does it work or not?? Only $30
[url][/url]

7 replies
CWR41 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 8

It looks like every other gadget that doesn't work as well as a pastry bag.

snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah...have to agree with above poster. The only way to be a great piper is practice!

That said, it may be nice for people who have issues with thier wrists and forearms.

cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 8

You can really get sucked into some these "gadgets" if you let yourself. You will just be spending a great deal of money for nothing. I have found a lot of my tools by improvizing. Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that just make the job easier, but do yourself a favor and double think it before spending a lot of money. I agree with the other posters here, and I say there is no replacement for practice, practice, and finally practice. All you need is a icing bag, coupler, a good medium consistency icing and a paper plate.

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 8

One of the most important things to remember about using a piping bag is to not fill it too much and make it difficult to handle.

Except when I am using my cake icing tip, I only fill my bags enough to fit in the palm of my hand. This way it's small enough for me to handle, and the bag empties quickly, keeping the heat of my hands (hot-handed mama here) from melting the icing and make it unuseable.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

This way it's small enough for me to handle, and the bag empties quickly, keeping the heat of my hands (hot-handed mama here) from melting the icing and make it unuseable.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Oh, how I wish I had those 'hot hands' - sometimes I think I could freeze water with my cold hands and feet icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't seen or heard of these things, but the first thought that crossed my mind was control. I wonder how easy it is to control the flow, back off when needed and increase/decrease pressure for certain things.

I'd think if it was possible to get that kind of control out of something battery operated, it would be quite a learning curve (for me anyway!)

03FLSTF Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 8

Youve got to be kidding me was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this item in the latest Bed, Bath & Beyond flyer. Next well see them on late night TV, but wait theres more buy now and youll get a Shamwow and Slap Chop for free, just pay additional S & H. ROTFL!!

I completely agree with cabecakes & playingwithsugar, and there is no substitute for a palm sized piping bag of the right consistency icing and practice, practice, practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%