How Do I Keep Gumpaste Looking So Smooth And Clean?

Decorating By JustBakedCakes Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm by allaboutcakeuk

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 5

I've been practicing gumpaste figures. My gumpaste cracks and dries funny looking. I do add veg oil. How does everyone keep their gumpaste figures looking so nice and smooth? And how do I make my figures look like they have cloths on? I just made a witch for a halloween cake I'm doing. I uploaded the photo if anyone wants to look at it and give me some pointers. I really want my figures to look professional. I am very new at this and I know it takes practice but some good pointers would really be appreciated!! TIA!!!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 5

Hi, i looked at your witch. It is great!! First of all, you don,t use veg. oil. you put a little crisco on your hands. Just a little.Then you massage it into your paste that you are using at the time. massage and pull and stretch it. This helps keep the g/p soft and pliable and easy to work with. On youtube.com. aine2(ac/cer) is showing how to handle g/p and how to work with it . Please look at that and it will help you so much. Again , your witch is outstanding. hth

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 5

Personally, I like to use a half gumpaste, half fondant mixture for larger figures. It allows more flexibility and doesn't dry out so fast. Also, it depends on the kind of gumpaste you are using. What kind is it?

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 5

@icer, thanks for the info. I will check out her page. And Thanks for looking at my witch. I worked really hard on her. I'm still not completely happy with her but for my first one it will do icon_smile.gif
@ladyfish, I use ready made gumpaste by Wilton. I thought about combining gumpaste and fondant but never did I'll try that icon_smile.gif
Thanks guys!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2cupcakes

I've been practicing gumpaste figures. My gumpaste cracks and dries funny looking. I do add veg oil. How does everyone keep their gumpaste figures looking so nice and smooth? And how do I make my figures look like they have cloths on? I just made a witch for a halloween cake I'm doing. I uploaded the photo if anyone wants to look at it and give me some pointers. I really want my figures to look professional. I am very new at this and I know it takes practice but some good pointers would really be appreciated!! TIA!!!

Hi, i always use vegetable fat - we call it trex here i think you may call it crisco? just use a little on your hands or the board when kneading your paste. When i am doing figures I always use 50/50. 50% flower (gumpaste) and 50% fondant. There are some great books out there for people modelling - ann pickard is a great one, may be worth getting a few books or tutorials on line to see how people put figures together and their clothes. HTH good luck you're model is super

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%