Thanks For Replies! I Now Have A 2Nd Question Please.

Decorating By nikkidave Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 1:48am by caymancake

nikkidave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkidave Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake tonight and I have made all the figures out of fondant, icing, etc. Now I just need to make the actual cake. I am using a red velvet cake mix bought from the store. I have a 12x18inch pan. Should I use two boxes? (The box only gives directions up to 13x9) Thanks!

8 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 9

I use four box mixes for my 12x18s. According to the Wilton chart, you need 14 cups of batter for each layer, and my Pillsbury mixes each make about 4 cups.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 9

Definitely two possibly 3 depending on how thick you want it.

nikkidave Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 9

Thank you! I read something about using a flower nail in a cake this big. I have no idea what that is or if I need it!? If I do need it, is it something available at my local grocery store??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 9

If you're going to use a 12x18 pan, I use 3 Betty Crocker cake mixes in that pan. (Some mixes yield different amts, which is why I reference the brand.)

does the person you're making the cake for need 50 servings?

nikkidave Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 9

I am making this for our Halloween office party tomorrow I need a lot of cake!! And of course I decide to try something I have never ever done before! icon_smile.gif My husband has been loving it though because he gets to eat any mistakes.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 9

Two box mixes should give you a short layer (1 1/2-2 inches tall). So you could bake 2 of these short layers, fill and get a nice 3-4 inch tall cake. If you want to do a single layer with no filling, then I would do three box cake mixes, just to make sure you have a good enough height.

Hope that helps!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 9

I also use 3 box mixes in a 12x18 pan. It bakes the cake up to 2" high. Thats what is like.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #9 of 9

A flower nail is the little metal looking "nail" with the big head in the decorating set (that's the best way i can describe it at least! LOL).

The nail will help the cake to cook evenly - especially with the centre. If you bake without it, the edges of your cake will be burnt before the centre gets cooks!

I also bake a cake this large for a longer time but at a lower temperature...either 300 or 325 (depending on the recipe) and for a longer time. Personally, I have found that it helps the cake to cook really well.

I hope this helps - please let us know when you post pics, I would love to see your final creation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%