How To Store A Cake Made Two Day In Advance

Decorating By l84ola Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:50am by -K8memphis

l84ola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l84ola Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone!

I am making a cake for an event on Saturday morning. I plan to bake the pound cakes late Thursday night, and cover in fondant and decorate Friday evening. I want to make sure the cake is moist on Saturday morning, so how should I store the cake from Thursday night to Friday evening when I decorate? Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 9

I would just double wrap in saran wrap and let them sit on the counter. I do that all the time (same timeline) and they stay nice and moist.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 9

The only time I bother to wrap my cakes up is after they come out of the oven until the time they are covered in icing.

The icing will seal the cakes to prevent them from drying out and will actually help the cake become more moist since the cake will draw in the moisture from the icing.

l84ola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l84ola Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! When wrapping the cakes, should I let them cool completely or wrap them warm?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 9

I normally like to let them cool down a bit, but I have basically gone from oven to fridge in the past when pressed for time (normally my wife is in the car yelling for me to hurry up icon_smile.gif)

A lot of people like to freeze their cakes and I know of at least one person who does this and he flips them out of the pan and into the freezer right away.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 9

Oh yes, I agree with Mayo, only wrap before they're iced. She's right about the icing sealing in the moisture.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

When I bake a week ahead I wrap the cooled cakes in plastic and heavy duty foil, store in the fridge until chilled, then freeze until I'm ready to start working on the layers. for two days ahead I basically wrap in plastic.

lesgateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesgateaux Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:32am
post #8 of 9

I let my cakes cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then wrap them in saran wrap and immediately put them in the freezer. I let them thaw in the fridge or on the counter before icing (unless carving... then i ice and carve them frozen). I always get compliments on how moist my cakes are.

HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #9 of 9

A thousand different ways to do this huh. I like the crust on pound cake so I let mine cool completely before wrapping and I'd leave it on the counter since there's no perishable fillings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%