Cake Pricing

Decorating By borerunner42 Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm by Crazboutcakes

borerunner42 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hello,
I am very new to the cake business & I have been researching prices for cakes & how much to charge my customers. At this point, i am starting at $40 for a 2 or 3 layer, 6 inch square or round (with basic BC decorations)& am going up from there. 8"=$45, 9"=$50 & so on. I make all my cakes from scratch, use only all natural ingredients & live in an upper middle class area. I feel like it sounds high, but also that it takes a lot of time to shop for ingredients & supplies, bake, decorate & clean up for a cake. I am wondering for a 1/2 sheet too (12"x18") starting at $60. When it takes me hours to do all this, (i am still quite slow) i feel like i'm not charging enough-or at least this should be a fair price. Any comments??? I would LOVE feedback & suggestions!!

11 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 12:29am
post #2 of 12

I would say you are a little high, but not super crazy. Its a fine line to walk especially when you are just starting out and have not yet built a reputation. High end bakeries here get those prices easily, but they have a strong reputation already that alloes them to comand those prices. I am a home baker and therefor have les overhead and I feel my prices should reflect that. For a 6" dessert cake I charge $15 ($25 decorated) and 8" dessert is $20 ($30 decorated) But in reality I do not sell alot of theese types of cakes since my focus is on wedding cakes and custom 2D & 3D carved designs, and those prices are considerably higher. I would suggest that you take a step back and view your product quality objectively and ask yourself if you would pay those prices, if the answer is no then you should adjust down.

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 12

I charge per slice and a bit more depending on the decorations - but usually stick to Earlenes Cake serving chart - and go from there. More per slice for fondant cakes.

You need to be comfortable with your skills, and quality of work... to be ok with charging people what you think is right! I am ok with my prices - but I tend to just charge for product and a little more for my time if it's a cake i've never done before.

Your prices are about the same as mine... icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 12

I charge per slice and a bit more depending on the decorations - but usually stick to Earlenes Cake serving chart - and go from there. icon_smile.gif More per slice for fondant cakes.

You need to be comfortable with your skills, and quality of work... to be ok with charging people what you think is right! I am ok with my prices - but I tend to just charge for product and a little more for my time if it's a cake i've never done before. icon_smile.gif

Your prices are about the same as mine... icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 12

I charged by slice and used the wilton wedding chart. These are smaller than Earline's but they are welcome to cut the dang thing in half if they want, but they are going to pay for the 38 pieces it was designed to serve! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

My BC price was $3.50/serving so it broke down this way:

6" round .... serves 12 ..... $42
8" round .... serves 24 ..... $84
10" round ... serves 38 .... $133

My sheet cakes were not delivered ... they had to pick up themselves .... and the 12x18 (serves 50-ish) was $75.

Out of 30 years of cake making, I only had about 5 designs that I charged a Design Fee for. Otherwise, it was a flat fee regardless of design.

Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I charged by slice and used the wilton wedding chart. These are smaller than Earline's but they are welcome to cut the dang thing in half if they want, but they are going to pay for the 38 pieces it was designed to serve! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

My BC price was $3.50/serving so it broke down this way:

6" round .... serves 12 ..... $42
8" round .... serves 24 ..... $84
10" round ... serves 38 .... $133

My sheet cakes were not delivered ... they had to pick up themselves .... and the 12x18 (serves 50-ish) was $75.

Out of 30 years of cake making, I only had about 5 designs that I charged a Design Fee for. Otherwise, it was a flat fee regardless of design.

Seeing we are on the serving sizing and pricing, I have a question for you indydebi, I have to make a topsy turvey bday cake for a 7 year old bday and the picture that mom sent looks like it is a 6,8,&10" with covered fondat and real roses and ribbon, and has nto serve up to 30. I guess my question is if your servings chart above would feed aprox 74 if I used this chart, would it be make more sence to make a 4,6,8" and what would you price for either one? Having a hard time!

leily Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Seeing we are on the serving sizing and pricing, I have a question for you indydebi, I have to make a topsy turvey bday cake for a 7 year old bday and the picture that mom sent looks like it is a 6,8,&10" with covered fondat and real roses and ribbon, and has nto serve up to 30. I guess my question is if your servings chart above would feed aprox 74 if I used this chart, would it be make more sence to make a 4,6,8" and what would you price for either one? Having a hard time!

I know i'm not indydebi, but i personally wouldn't make a 4/6/8 topsy turvy. The smalles tier i will do on one of those is a 6", the 4" are hard enough to work with, but then to carve them and taper them is not worth it in my opinion.

Also, depending on the method your using of topsy turvy you may need to charge more per serving. I use the method of using three 2" layers stacked and then carved, so i'm using an additonal 50% more cake per tier (my price per serving increases by 50% then since there's more cake) If you're proping it up with wedges then you need to make sure that the cost ofyou're materials is included.

As for amount of servings, even though i'm using 50% more cake I am also carving some of it away, so i don't actually increase the number of servings that the cake feeds, they're paying more per serving though to cover the additional cake and my additional time of carving.

Just make sure that whatever you end up selling your customer that you charge them for the amount of cake they're getting! not the amount of cake they want. So if you go with the 6-8-10 they are guying a cake to serve 74, so they need to pay for all of the servings. If they want a cake to serve 30 then they'll have to loose a tier.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 12

Topsy turvies are sculptures and I think they should be in the $7 to $8 range as a minimum.

Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I know i'm not indydebi, but i personally wouldn't make a 4/6/8 topsy turvy. The smalles tier i will do on one of those is a 6", the 4" are hard enough to work with, but then to carve them and taper them is not worth it in my opinion.

Also, depending on the method your using of topsy turvy you may need to charge more per serving. I use the method of using three 2" layers stacked and then carved, so i'm using an additonal 50% more cake per tier (my price per serving increases by 50% then since there's more cake) If you're proping it up with wedges then you need to make sure that the cost ofyou're materials is included.

As for amount of servings, even though i'm using 50% more cake I am also carving some of it away, so i don't actually increase the number of servings that the cake feeds, they're paying more per serving though to cover the additional cake and my additional time of carving.

Just make sure that whatever you end up selling your customer that you charge them for the amount of cake they're getting! not the amount of cake they want. So if you go with the 6-8-10 they are guying a cake to serve 74, so they need to pay for all of the servings. If they want a cake to serve 30 then they'll have to loose a tier.

So what would you put a price on for the 6,8,10" my cost would be aprox $75.00, still uncertain, can you help?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 12

Whatever the amount of servings times $7-$8 as a minimum--more for elaborate decor, more for fondant, more for slidey fillings, more for delivery, more for special topper.

indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 12

Just got back from the doctor (6 prescriptions for the arthritis in my neck that flared up .... my first dose of all of these pills was a total of 10 pills!)

Anyway ..... just so you won't think I ignored ya icon_redface.gif ..... I can't add anything to what leily and k8 have said. They've given fabulous advice and I would definitely consider their expertise on this one. thumbs_up.gif

Crazboutcakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks to all for you help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%