How Much Should I Charge Someone For A Gum Paste Shoe?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 3

I made a shoe from gum paste for a friend's cake, turned out super cute, but I was wondering how much I should charge in case I am asked to make one in the future? I will try to get pictures posted, I am not completely happy with it, I think it could be better, but not too bad for my first shoe icon_smile.gif If I can't get it on the post, just look under my pictures, I will be posting there too! Thanks!!

2 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 3

Your shoe looks great - love the crystals!

Regarding charging, you probably spent a few bucks on ingredients and I assume it took you a few hours. Figure out how much you want to get paid per hour and the ingredients, and you have the price. It may also depend on what people in your area will pay. Our shoes start around $40 and go up depending on the details.

ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 3

Wow, I think I may have under-charged for the shoe then! I told him $15, then come to find out, I spent around $10 just for the gumpaste and colors!! My husband also thinks I am undercharging for my cakes. I feel my cakes are better than what I would consider my closest competitor's cakes are...(I don't want to call her competition, but shes the closest decorator to me!) How do you go about pricing when your closest competition under prices? For a 2 tier cake, she only charged my friend like $40!! My price would have been about $60!

Quote by @%username% on %date%