Silver Cake? Black Cake? Help!

Decorating By Michelle84 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm by cakesmart

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:55am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing the farewell cake for a local school's end of year party, and their theme is black, gold and silver.

I would ideally like to do a black cake with gold and silver decorations but I'm a little worried about stained mouths as I'll be using buttercream. So my questions for a black cake are:
- Will it be easier to make chocolate icing and tint it black, OR
- Will it be easier to make chocolate icing, frost the cake and then spray paint it black?

OR

If instead I wanted to do a cake with silver icing, how would I do that? Is it possible? I've only seen metallic finishes on the accents of a cake, not as the whole cake's colour

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:18am
post #2 of 6

If I were doing a black cake I'd cover the buttercream in black fondant - easier to cut/peel off at serving. Nobody wants to actually eat black icing do they?

Lakelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lakelover Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:22am
post #3 of 6

I think you can buy silver spray for airbrushing...Post a pic of your cake I have thought about a silver and black cake too but wasn't sure how to do the icing.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:40am
post #4 of 6

I did a cake gold once, didn't post it as I didn't personally like it (not the gold the rest of the design it just wasn't me) but the gold worked really well. I covered the cake in white fondant let it harden up a bit over night and then took a deep gold lustre dust and rubbed it in with some paper towel. dry dust no vodka or anything and it made a it gold shiny cake. I'm going to try and post a picture so you can see. Oh and If it works the cat is supposed to have one eye it was made to look like the womans cat.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:45am
post #5 of 6

K that didn't work so I just uploaded the pic. I've also used black fondant on one of my cakes one of the recent ones in my photos and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for taste etc. Much easier I think to cover with a black fondant and as coral said they can just take it off if they dont want it, I think it would save you a lot of headaches. There's the pic of the gold anyway HTH Han xx
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1848328&done=1

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 6

Black fondant is what I would do....much easier and a time saver too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%