Fresh Strawberry Filling..

Decorating By corpsequeen Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 7:30am by doramoreno62

corpsequeen Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:34am
post #1 of 11

I apologies if there is already a topic about this but im new and these forums are huge!

I have a cake to make in a few weeks and the requested filling is whip cream and Fresh strawberries. My question is, is there a way to keep the filling fresh/cold in a fondant covered cake without making it sweat? I know better then to put it in the fridge. Am I doomed to just getting up early to finish the cake that morning is there a good way to store it overnight?

And while I have you here Does anyone have a good recipe for a whip cream type filling? I'm sure using canned whip cream would be a disaster..

Thank you all in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
JanH Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:57am
post #2 of 11

Hi and Welcome to CC corpsequeen. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsequeen

I know better then to put it in the fridge.

A perishable filling can only go without refrigeration for four hours (at a time)... So I don't know how you're going to accomplish decorating, delivering and the cake being displayed in that small window of time.

Better to refrigerate the decorated cake, and then you have four hours to deliver and display the cake before serving.

The trick to not having water spots on your fondant cake is to not touch any spots of condensation that may appear after removal from the 'fridge. Just leave them alone and they will evaporate without leaving a trace.

Additonal helpful threads on refrigerating/freezing fondant covered cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-683469-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-698936-.html

HTH

cathyscakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:58am
post #3 of 11

I put my fondant covered cakes in the frig all of the time. I never have any problems. Sometimes there is a little condensation when you take them out, but it quickly evaporates, I just don't touch them. If I used fresh strawberries I would definitely keep it refrigerated.

corpsequeen Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 6:59am
post #4 of 11

Thank you both, i will read those threads! will the refrigeration have any effect on my fondant decorations if i keep them on?

doramoreno62 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:26am
post #5 of 11

I don't do fondant but my suggestion is about the whipped cream. I use Pastry Pride, which is a non dairy whipped topping. My strawberry filling is ALWAYS fresh strawberries, never that jelly stuff. On the bottom layer I first put a thin layer of PP, then the sliced strawberries, then another thin layer of PP on top of the berries to cover them. Then I put on the top layer. Frost and decorate with PP, then refrigerate until the customer picks it up. I have done MANY wedding cakes with fresh berries, and they have sat out for hours until the cake is cut and I've never had a problem or complaint from anyone. I have several customers who will not order anything but fresh strawberry filling and they keep coming back. I don't know if its because I cover the berries completely with the PP, it keeps them from going bad quicker, since it is non dairy.

corpsequeen Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:29am
post #6 of 11

Thank you for the suggestion! Can i find the PP at a normal grocery store? I would love to try it out icon_biggrin.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:59am
post #7 of 11

I buy it at Smart n Final. I see that you're in So Cal (me too), so hopefully you have one near you.

doramoreno62 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:01am
post #8 of 11

One more thing I forgot to say, Make sure you have a dam of PP on the bottom layer so the berries don't leak thru.

corpsequeen Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:32am
post #9 of 11

Ill have to look it up and see if there is one close icon_smile.gif *fingers crossed!*

corpsequeen Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:21am
post #10 of 11

I got my hands on some pastry pride and used it with some fresh strawberries on some cake scraps from leveling. It was delicious! Thanks again for the recommendation icon_biggrin.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:30am
post #11 of 11

thumbs_up.gif Glad I could help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%