Am I Charging Ok? (Sorry Rusty English)

Decorating By cakaddict Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 4:52am by pmarks0

cakaddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakaddict Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I live in Québec-Canada. I live 20 minutes from Montréal. I'm a home cake decorator.

I charge:

3,50$ (canadian dollar)per serving for a buttercream cake with fondant accents
4$ per serving for a cake covered with fondant and fondant accents
4,50$ per serving for a 3D cake such as a purse cake, a car, train etc.

Considering that there are not a lot of decorators like me around here...(fondant, 3D cakes)

Is that ok???? Is it too much? I dont want to overcharge but before i was charging only 1,75$ to 2,50$ per serving and end up disapointed with all the efforts i put in doing my cakes icon_sad.gif Profit wasnt there at all.

Please be honest and tell me if i'm ok with my prices for the kind of work i do (you can take a look at my photos to see my work).

Thank you so much!

Cakaddict

1 reply
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 2

Your cakes look amazing. Very impressive.

I'm in Ontario and I charge $3-4/serving for buttercream depending on the decoration. I lean to the upper range if there are fondant accents. And I charge $5/serving for a fondant covered cake. I've not had to charge for a 3D cake yet, but I imagine that it would be a little higher. I haven't had to yet, but I would probably add onto the price if there were flowers and such on as they take more work to do.

I think you're prices are fine but if you're competing with cakers in Montreal, I think you could probably raise your prices slightly. You could find out what bakeries in your area are charging to get an idea as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%