Has Anyone Used The Stand Up Bear Mold From Wilton?

Decorating By cakemaster10 Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 5:35am by HowCoolGomo1

cakemaster10 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 7

I am making a ghost cake using a stand up bear mold from wilton plans. Do I need anything to support it has anyone used this mold and have any suggestions for me?

6 replies
cakelady_nikki Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #2 of 7

It says you don't need to use support but I wasnt comfortable with that so I made a small cake to fill the plug once the cake was done. Other then that I followed the directions and all went well.

lalia101 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:19am
post #3 of 7

I used the same pan & I read the directions & followed however I baked it using a cookie sheet under the bear pan & covered the edges in foil. The cake mix leaks a lot. This worked for me icon_smile.gif HTH
Ps I also used a pound cake mix & it came out perfect.

HeyWife Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:24am
post #4 of 7

I used 1 pound cake and one regular box mix per the instructions but I didn't use the core. The first bear I made with it fell apart so the second time I left it out and it worked great. I also baked it on a cookie sheet because the batter will sometimes overflow out the top.

madgeowens Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 7

I baked it on sheet pan in case it leaked....I used core, it came out perfect and I did not use support and it stood just fine...I put a gob of bc beneath to glue it fast to board though

Lita829 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I baked it on sheet pan in case it leaked....I used core, it came out perfect and I did not use support and it stood just fine...I put a gob of bc beneath to glue it fast to board though

Ditto.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:35am
post #7 of 7

I use cake mix to do mine. Use 2, Duncan Hines, one according to instructions on the box and the other is their version of pound cake. These used to be on the boxes of the classic yellow cake and devils food. They've since take them off. Still available on their website. If you can't find them, PM me, I've written down the recipes.

I don't fill the core, even though I use it. I also bake on a cookie sheet. I found that getting those heavy duty black paper clips help immensely. (find at office supply stores. I get the little ones.

My pan grease is 1:1:1, veg. oil, shortening and flour. I also dust afterward. I follow the instructions for cooling the bear to the tee. The only time I have failure has been trying to rush cooling or using the wrong type of cake.

I bake at 325 and wait forever. When it's done and finally done cooling, I take paper towels to absorb any extra pan grease.

Decorating, I've found doing anything I need flat is best done first, then I star tip and after that I fill in with single line piping (not very good doing it, and I can always star tip over it.

Do not rush this cake. I plan on 3 days. Personally, I love having 4 days. This guy is a royal pain. You will either love it or hate it. It's my favorite cake to do for family and friends. They are always so thrilled. Makes my cussing at it very worthwhile.

I've not tried to put fondant on it, but it's in my plans.

Now I shall try to post a pic, of my first Bear.

The icing was all ganache. A birthday present for a friend turning 60.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%