White Chocolate Ganache In Place Of Bc?

Baking By SweetKath Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 3:02am by Karen421

SweetKath Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 12

Next weekend I'll be putting together my final cake for the first Wilton cake course. So far so good. I have a butter flavored WASC cake in the freezer for my base. I also have the filling in the freezer - I used an easy bc recipe from CC and added hershey cocoa along with CoffeeMate White Chocolate Caramel Latte in place of milk. (I have to admit - it is to die for!) Now....

I am thinking about using a white chocolate ganache instead of bc for the icing. Any thoughts? Can I add coloring to the ganache? If so, do I need to adjust the recipe? Does anyone have a recipe for WCG?

I've never decorated a ganache with bc - is it any different than using bc as a base?

Thank you for your help! You all are amazing and I learn something new everyday on this board!

11 replies
thin4life Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:29am
post #2 of 12

If this is your final cake for the first course I HIGHLY recommend you use buttercreme. Gnache is totally different and if you are not experienced you may have problems. I am a Wilton instructor and I always have my students use the frosting recipe in the book for class.

Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 12

Do you want to pour the ganache or spread the ganache?

SweetKath Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #4 of 12

The last time I used ganache, I poured it. I am open to doing either poured or spread.

I realize the preference for the course is bc, however we are not big bc eaters so I prefer to try something different for the covering. I realize I am being a bit "rebellious" but.....

mommynana Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 12

i just finished the last class of the 3rd course and i covered a cake in chocolate ganache but i covered it with fondant. i tried to post a pic but it would`t post so i posted it my gallerie if anyone wants to look at it and give me any pointers ( i`ll take good and bad) its the green one,with the bow

TrixieTreats Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 12

Ganache is nice to use and definitely tastes decadent. I use it in the spreadable form rather than poured, and I love using it under fondant. It may take additional time for you to get the hang of the smoothing of the ganache if you have never done that before, but I love it. Use the hot knife method. I have used BC on top of ganache with no issues once it has hardened. make sure it is a good crusting decorator icing and you should be okay if you are wanting to venture forward with something new and take a chance.

mommynana Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #7 of 12

Trixie Treats, it was the first time i used chocolate ganach and i used the hot knife and it worked like charm

Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 12

White Chocolate is a 3 to 1 ratio. I say go for it!! Rebellious is always more fun thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

SweetKath Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for your encouragement! icon_biggrin.gif I just can't seem to help myself with experimenting in this class! My baking time is limited so I am trying to make the most of it. I'm not worried about making a mistake or it being perfect as I'll learn more about the process if it doesn't go perfect--- can't you tell I work in performance improvement!!!

Anyhow - I'm not sure I understand all of the talk about 3:1 and 2:1 ratio. Is this chocolate to cream?

Also - any difference in how I add the bc detail if I use ganache?

Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 12

3 parts white chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. I think (haven't done it) once the ganache has set up you can just decorate as normal with buttercream. Good luck and post pictures!!!

SweetKath Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #11 of 12

Thanks Karen. I'm still kind of shy about posting pics plus I just haven't done it yet!

Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #12 of 12

LOL I'm sure your cake will be great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%