Lots Of Cake Balls!

Decorating By maendings Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm by jillmakescakes

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding to do the Sat. after turkey day and she is thinking of having me do cake balls for treat boxes- 3 to a box and 80 boxes! I haven't given her my answer yet if I am willimg to do that many plus the cake (and I work full time). My questions is: has anyone done that large a number for a venue and how far in advance did you dip them. I know I can make the cake balls and freeze them but it takes more time to dip than make. I even thought about pouring the chocolate over them to do more at a time. Also, do you have more succes with Wilton candy melts or Merkens candy nibs (they at least taste like something). I know Bakerella suggests the Candy melts for a better dip. I've used both and by the time you add the shortening, the Merkens act better but the Wilton gives a better coat.
Thanks,
Colleen

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 3

Good luck! I haven't made many....but I also like to dip with the Ghiradelli dipping chocolate you can get at Sam's Club....it tastes lovely too!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 3

I've made many a cake ball in my day (I've got 1200 due 2 weeks from now!). Typically, 5 cups of cake batter make 80 cake balls, so you would need about 15 cups. I prefer the Wilton, because like you said, it gives a better coat. I can usually get one bag of melts to cover 80 of them. It should go pretty fast.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%