Butter Prices. You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!!

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am by BethLS

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #31 of 83

I think the obesity epidemic is more from a sedentary lifestyle (office jobs, video games, etc) than anything else.

Our farmer and rancher forbears ate way more fat and grease than anyone would think of eating today...but they worked it all off too!

Well that and Americans thinking they have to eat 2000 calories in one sitting.... but any food can do that, not just junk....

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #32 of 83

don't know if this link will work, but found this article interesting ..
http://www.magicvalley.com/business/article_423ce6b0-d4ac-5120-80da-b49fab27c9b1.html

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'll buy any brand of butter, as long as it's rated "Grade AA"--just like Land O' Lakes.

For baking - yes. For frosting - no way. I learned the hard way too. When LOL went to $3.99 a lb here (and I guess it is going to go higher), I used our local store brand. For baking it is fine. For frosting, namely SMBC, it turned a darker shade and got a waxy, greasy sheen to it. I tossed a batch that was less then 24 hours old and stored in the fridge also.

Now for frosting it is only LOL. For cakes I use the store brand.

I am going to try making my own if I can find the restaurant brand cream. I also had a link I saved where you can butter in your food processor. Basically you turn it on and let it run til the cream turns to butter. But if I can find the link again, I'll post it. Only because the guy doing the video is so funny!

I'm with you, Not just any butter will do for frosting. I'm in PA & I'm not finding prices like some of the others on this forum. Guess I'm going to have to do some price searching.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:18am
post #34 of 83

I've made butter in my food processor and it was a blast icon_biggrin.gif It is kind of like a science project icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I drained the buttermilk off using a strainer, and then mixed in ice water and used cheese cloth , but frankly wasn't really thrilled about the mess it made. So then I put the butter in a wide mouth jar, added ice water, and shook and shook, drained the water off and continued until the water ran clear. I added a little salt and it was wonderful thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Never thought about using the buttermilk though icon_cool.gif Boy my poundcakes are going to love the new style buttermilk...lol icon_biggrin.gif

Loved the videos ya'll posted links to thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #35 of 83

I dunno, for the amount of butter we go through...wouldn't it just be easier to buy it? Time is money...and if it takes me awhile to make the butter...that's the same as saving that time and buying it, right?

Sounds good though...taste wise.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #36 of 83

When dairy farmers cut the size of their herds (as a great many are doing just now) the price of butter and milk go up.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #37 of 83

Making your own butter sounds great but so far this week we have gone thru over 60 lbs of butter. not sure if I could keep up with our demand. icon_eek.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #38 of 83

After seeing how much butter has gone up at Sam's, I went to Aldi's and I get my butter there now for $1.49 !!! I get my eggs for .49 cents and sour cream for less than a dollar. With the prices I charge for my cakes, I can't afford name brand.. plus it drives me crazy to pay that much!! They look at me like I am crazy when I check out and have 10 boxes of butter!! They have a good price of powdered sugar but I don't really like it... need to sift it for sure.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:32am
post #39 of 83

I often go to Aldi's for my butter and eggs, but the prices aren't always consistent. Though I can usually get a dozen large eggs for around $0.89 and a pound of butter somewhere around $2.59.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:14am
post #40 of 83

Well, if there really is a conspiracy of the US Government concerning butter, they must have called the German Government as well and asked them to participate icon_wink.gif)

Last year I paid 0.69 for 250 grams of butter - a year later I am set back 1.05 . Milk has gone up as well but not that dramatically. Eggs have stayed the same. Go figure. And butter has not been for sale anywhere for months - I have been paying close attention icon_smile.gif Also, it costs exactly the same at all the supermarkets.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #41 of 83

Time is certainly money, but I probably only put a couple of minutes of my time into it, it's kind of a set it and forget thing. I was actually make modeling chocolate at the same I was making butter. I only did it in the 5qt KA, but if I decide to take up butter making I'll be putting it into the 20qt floor mixer. I'm not set on it, but if butter keeps going and heavy cream keeps staying, you never know icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #42 of 83

Wow--I din watch all the extra videos but I read all the posts--for one thing--Ali, do you get one cup of butter for $1.79 or one pound--probably if I watched the videos I'd find out but I'm so tired from reading about all the extra work to save the pennies I gotta go rest now. icon_lol.gif

But seriously one more thing to think about and process and store and clean up after phfft.

I mean like you said, surely cream will start to go up too huh.

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

I have a question, why is unsalted butter more than salted butter?

Salt acts as a preservative, so the salted butter has a longer shelf life. Unsalted butter will expire faster so the producer has an inherent 'risk' involved if that butter doesn't sell and must be wasted. Higher risk/higher price.

That's also part of the reason anything organic is more expensive, too. Yes, it's more expensive to grow organically but it also spoils must faster so they have to charge more per piece to offset the inevitably higher waste.

The bakery where I work also purchases butter in 55# blocks and the price increase has been staggering.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #44 of 83

I got half a pound of butter for half a quart of cream, so for $.90 a cup. I didn't do the whole quart because I was using the rest of the cream for ganache. But the quarts are $1.79 each, so multiplying it up, each $1.79 Quart of cream will yield 1 pound (2 cups) of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk. I do use buttermilk in a few recipes and in waffles and pancakes, so I can make use of it and then save a little bit of money in that dept as well. Of course if butter stays at $2.50 a pound, I'll probably not ever spend the time (unless I have leftover cream from ganache...).

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I followed this guy. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Butter-1/

At Costco I can get heavy cream for $1.79 for a quart and get a pound of butter from it. It took me less than 20 minutes, but I didn't wait for my HC to get to 61 degrees either, straight from 35 degree fridge to mixer.

That was a fun video! I spend time at a ranch in Montana each year, and we make butter by placing the cream in a Mason jar, capping it tightly and simply "churn" it by shaking the jar back and forth, back and forth, until the butter separates. It is a much longer process, but a GREAT workout for your arms. After we pour off the buttermilk, we put the butter into a cheese cloth and dunk it in the ice water bath, squeezing it tightly and replacing the water until squeezing it in the water no longer is producing any milky residue. It is much same as in the video, but a bit more time consuming.

This is a really fun project to do with children. It never hurts for them to learn how something is made and they feel so proud of their efforts.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:06pm
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I followed this guy. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Butter-1/

At Costco I can get heavy cream for $1.79 for a quart and get a pound of butter from it. It took me less than 20 minutes, but I didn't wait for my HC to get to 61 degrees either, straight from 35 degree fridge to mixer.

I had no idea making butter is this easy.

It will make a nice science project to do with kids.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #47 of 83

I just had a thought. Can't you just see yourself at 3 am running out of icing and then, oh no, out of butter too, but spy a carton of cream in the frige... Can't you just envision some blearly eyed caker trying to make freakin' butter in a mason jar in the middle of the night??? Note the eyes bobbling up & down, side to side, in & out. icon_lol.gif

Times like these I'm once again grateful to manage a bookstore for a living.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I just had a thought. Can't you just see yourself at 3 am running out of icing and then, oh no, out of butter too, but spy a carton of cream in the frige... Can't you just envision some blearly eyed caker trying to make freakin' butter in a mason jar in the middle of the night??? Note the eyes bobbling up & down, side to side, in & out. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif For sure, Kate! The Mason Jar is a fun "project," but under no circumstances would I be shaking that jar around at three in the morning! The jar takes twenty minutes to a half hour! Now... can't say that I wouldn't take the three minutes to make my butter from cream in the KA vs. running up to Walmart in the middle of the night. Walmart at 3:00 a.m. kinda gives me the creeps! icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #49 of 83

My slow dial-up prevents me from watching the videos, but when I had my cows I used to make butter regularly. It was a simple matter to fill my blender to about 2" from the top with cream. (Although Aligomatt obtained butter straight from the refrigerator, you'll get a better yield from the cream if it is just slightly below room temp, or around 68 degrees.) After about 8-10 minutes on the lowest speed, the tempo and pitch change and you end up with a "butterburg" bobbing around in a sea of watery buttermilk.
Since it is rather soft at this stage, put the blender full into the fridge to harden up for few minutes. Then a quick pour through a sieve to trap all the errant particles and into a bowl of cold water to cover. Stir and press until it coalesces into one mass.
At this point, use a rubber scraper and knead and press under the cold water, changing it frequently until the water runs clear. The more buttermilk you extract, the better the keeping qualities are. Now you can choose to either leave it unsalted, or if desired, knead in about 1 tsp. salt per pound. If it is too salty for your taste, you can wash and re-salt again.
Yields: 1 pound butter per 1 qt. of cream.

Although it sounds like a lengthy process, it really goes quickly after you've done it a couple of times. I just miss having access to the fresh milk and all the lovely cheeses and other dairy products I used to make.
I buy my butter at Aldi now (grumbling at the price), and freeze large quantities of it.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #50 of 83

I am not sure if anyone posted this yet, but hold on a bit an the prices will drop for the holiday cooking/baking season. I LOAD up on butter when it drops into the dollar range for a pound. It will...just like eggs around Easter time...so buy sparingly now and load up and freeze when the price drops again!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

icon_lol.gif For sure, Kate! The Mason Jar is a fun "project," but under no circumstances would I be shaking that jar around at three in the morning! The jar takes twenty minutes to a half hour! Now... can't say that I wouldn't take the three minutes to make my butter from cream in the KA vs. running up to Walmart in the middle of the night. Walmart at 3:00 a.m. kinda gives me the creeps! icon_biggrin.gif

Thus the reason why i am grateful for inventions like food processors, mixers and blenders. At 3 am it is much easier to sit and watch the whirring of these machines while taking a quick cat nap rather than work up a sweat shaking a bottle!

And Walmart at 3 in the afternoon gives me creeps, let alone 3 a.m.! I agree with you there!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #52 of 83

This morning in NC near Charlotte - 3.88 at WalMart

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #53 of 83

where i come from 1lb unsalted butter is about $22 thats $8.24 US making my own butter in 9 min would could save me 7 bucks! that my friends is worth my time

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #54 of 83

I was at Aldi's today: $2.49/lb.
It's gone up over 50 cents in the last month or two. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #55 of 83

If you make your own butter and you plan on using it right away, say in a cookie recipe, is it necessary to rinse it many times with ice water or can you just drain off the buttermilk and use it?

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #56 of 83

Thanks for this post. I think Im going to give this a try icon_smile.gif

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #57 of 83

I'm glad it wasn't my imagination that prices were bouncing around all summer. Is there a shortage of cows all of the sudden or someting? I can still usually get it for just under $3/lb at bjs but it was up to almost $4 over the summer.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #58 of 83

Tell me about it...I went to costco and bought the 4 pound block for a little over $10 and thought wow!!!

I didnt know I could freeze butter icon_confused.gif

Is there a proper way to freeze it and when I want to defrost it do I place it in the fridge or leave it on the counter??

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #59 of 83

I don't do anything special when I freeze it. I throw it in in the box and either take out the entire box or a few sticks and put them on the counter or fridge to defrost. Butter probably freezes and defrosts better than anything else besides water. No crystals, no bad flavors.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #60 of 83

Thin4life, I think if you will look up a few posts, I might have answered your question. However, if you are going to use it immediately, I shouldn't imagine you will need to rinse it as completely. I have never really encountered this particular question. At least working it under water to collect the mass should provide some sort of washing. It is kinda hard to use without that procedure as so much of it appears as little floating "rice grains" when first churned.
I hope this helps you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%