What Am I Doing Wrong???

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

I cannot get my gumpaste figures to last. I need to make some pumpkins for my cake but I am afraid that they will be piles before they dry. icon_cry.gif

I am using the Wilton powder gumpaste mix...is it possible that I accidentally added too much water or something and now it's too soft? The head of my dog didn't crack, but it slumped a bit. The body slumped down about 1/2" and cracked. I am not sure where to go from here.

Can I add more powdered sugar to the mix to firm it up or will that just dry it out? Would a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix make it better?

Do I have to make a whole new batch? (please say no!)

6 replies
Kellbella Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 7

When I need to make any figures or anything that needs to harden I add a little tylose to reg fondant. It works like a charm...need it in...let it sit for a little while. HTH. Myabe you can add a little corn starch?

kristiemarie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 7

Cornstarch! I never even thought of that! Thanks!

Debi2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

I've never used the Wilton mix, so I can't help you with that. I, like Kellbella, also add Tylose to fondant for gumpaste figures. If you have some Tylose on hand, maybe you could try adding a little of that to your Wilton mix to help your figures set up quicker? Good luck!

pag41989 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7

I use the Wilton Mix all the time. All I do to make it more firm if it is too soft is knead in some powdered sugar. I do it a tiny bit at a time though because it does tend to dry out very easy.

cathie_shinnick Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 7

I sometimes use the wilton powder mix...I never use the full amount of water that they call for..I use 1 T for each cup of powder.....if its too stiff...I add just a few more drops at a time

kristiemarie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

I'll bet I added too much water.

It doesn't feel too soft though. Or maybe I just don't know what it's suppose to feel like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%