Dam Question

Lounge By JustGettinStarted Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 3

I know I need to do a stiff buttercream dam if I'm going to use a runny filling, but do you use one if you are going to just use buttercream as a filling?

Also, what consistency do most of you use for your buttercream icing (to frost the cake) if you are covering with fondant?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
Cakegirl313 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

I don't typically use a dam when using buttercream as a filling since it really doesn't pour out the sides. But if you make a thick filling it may still want to seep out the sides.

When i'm frosting a cake that will have fondant on it I just crumb coat it and then cover it with a thin layer of buttercream. The conistancy I use is pretty much the same if I was just covering the cake in only buttercream. Just do it to what feels comfortable with you. I think more a medium consistancy so it is easy to spread and won't run off.

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

Okay thank you! I've never used a dam for just buttercream before, but I wanted to see what other did. As for the fondant, I've been thinking my layer of BC under it was rather lacking, but someone took a picture of a cut cake of mine that had fondant and wow! there was a ton of icing on there! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%