Bride Requested Rum Or Whiskey Flavored Cake? Help!!

Baking By jo3d33 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:17am by -K8memphis

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 6

So I am fairly new to this baking/decorating stuff. I recently had a bride ask me if I could do a whiskey or rum flavored cake. I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe they would like to share? I looked before I posted this and could not find any. I was also wondering if I just did a vanilla WASC cake and used rum for the liquid if that would work? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help!

5 replies
loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 6

I made a pineapple flavored wedding cake once; the bride wanted rum flavored icing which sounded goods to me at the time. the bride never had a chance to get me the bottle of rum so I used rum extract instead...BIG mistake! thumbsdown.gif It was awful. Talk to the bride, tell her that the alcohol will be cooked out and only the flavor will be left. Suggest adding it to your frosting instead as a compliment to the cake, not the cake itself for the guests who don't care for that flavor. Then EXperiment beforehand!!! Do NOT do this cake without trying it yourself first! You don't want a disaster on her wedding day icon_redface.gif HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 6

Bacardi has the killerest rum cake ever. It's google-able I'm sure. They have a yellow and a chocolate. They use box mix but if you want scratch just insert your own favorite recipe if you want.

I would use a simple syrup splash applied to your baked cake. It's equal parts water and sugar cooked to where the sugar melts. Then carefully add the rum--to taste. Maybe like two parts simple syrup to one part rum and brush onto the cake. I squirt it on with a squirt bottle.

I love rum cake!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 6

Maybe you could use a syrup made with rum or whiskey and sugar water then spray it on a white cake. What flavor of icng did she ask for.

I have used liqueurs in the icing and it takes very little to get the flavor you want.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 6

If you google rum cake you should come up with plenty of options for recipes. My mom makes rum cakes every year for Christmas and they are the best. Although the typical rum cake is usually a bundt, I have never tried making it as a regular decorated cake. I would imagine that you could just follow the recipe and then omit the nut topping. It is a very moist cake, so definitely make sure you experiment with it first.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 6

I made a giant Bacardi layer cake--one half was the chocolate the other half was the yellow with their fillings. It worked out great.

But I especially love the yellow BR cake baked in a bundt pan that has been slathered with butter and a fine grind of pecans and flour and brown sugar smooshed into the sides of the buttered pan then pour the batter & bake--oh sh*t it's good baked off like that--then put that miraculous glaze in the Bacardi recipe on it. mmmmmmm

Oh it's good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%