Help With This Book Cake Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Decorating By BooperBaker78 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 8:28am by BooperBaker78

BooperBaker78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooperBaker78 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 6

Maybe I just woke up with my head in the clouds this morning, but I honestly can not figure out the best way to execute this cake idea.

I have done a few "book" cakes before, but this one has me stumped. My customer wants as close to the "Book of Shadows" as I can get it.

The book is not very thick, and is "coil binded". I have to feed at least 40 people with this cake. Any suggestions?

I have attached a picture of the book.

BTW, the cake is due Friday!!! Why do they always wait til the week of to order?

5 replies
BooperBaker78 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 6

I forgot the attachment...sorry.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

not able to see the pic but one thing that may be helpul - is the book going to be a closed book or an open book?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

Would help to have the pic, but w/o a pic to see the binding my suggestion right now would to make little snakes/ropes and then dry them around a rolling pin

BooperBaker78 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

Not sure whats happening with the picture. I have tried several times to post it. Its to be a closed book. And its coiled. I am also stunned on how to make the book cover look like "stone." I know the right coloring technique, but I am concerned that cake wouldnt be sturdy enough to look like I want it to.

BooperBaker78 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:28am
post #6 of 6

Phew! I finally got this cake figured out... and finished. I think it turned out good. My camera was completely dead so had to take pics with my phone, so its not the greatest pictures.

I precut the fondant to dry, so it would be nice and stiff, not to hang down over the "pages".

I was going for the antique silver look... tried a new technique.

I also posted a picture of the real book.

Please give feedback.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%