Morning Sickness.....

Lounge By Mel2085 Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm by pajnpis

Mel2085 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 20

So i just found out last week I am pregnant with our first!! icon_biggrin.gif Which I am super excited because my husband and I have been trying since June!

Anyways I am about 5 weeks along and today was the first day of Morning Sickness! I have a 20 min drive to work that took me 35 because I had to stop a few times and vomit! Then once I got to work I had to again. My boss asked if I was feeling okay and I told her ya and then she kind of put two and two together. Anyways she sent me home and told me to come back in tomorrow. I am very grateful for that but my question is....what did you all do to help the morning sickness?!? I have tried Ginger Ale....the stuff made with real ginger....and not really a fan if anything that makes me gag more!

Anything would help!!

Oh and making a baby shower cake for my sister in law next weekend should be a real blast!! HAHA icon_eek.gif

19 replies
michellenj Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 20

Gatorade helped me. It's funny what will trigger you. Every single day when I'd brush my teeth, I'd end up getting sick. Good luck, and congrats!

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 20

My friend ate the second she woke up. She kept whole wheat crackers by her bedside. HTH, congratulations!

kelleym Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 20

Congrats! I have 3 kids, and my morning sickness was different every time (and got progressively better with each pregnancy).

1st child: I threw up 10-20 times a day for 7 weeks straight, losing 22 pounds. I finally ended up in the ER from dehydration. They re-hydrated me with IV's and sent me home with a blessed prescription for promethazine. I spent the next month very sleepy, but at least not sick.

2nd child: I could function pretty well in the mornings, but my trigger was smells. Any smells, good or bad, didn't matter. I would make my son a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and if I caught a whiff of that cereal, I'd be retching into the kitchen sink.

3rd child: I only got sick on mornings when I had to get up and rush around. If I could take my time and move slowly, I was fine, but rushing around was a sure fire way to get sick.

Don't hesitate to visit your OB and get some medication if it gets bad.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 20

With my first pregnancy, I didn't have any morning sickness at all. The second time, I was working at a liquor store. The people who come in when the store first opens usually don't smell very good icon_razz.gif and I was gagging every time I had to ring something up. What helped me was ginger altoids. I couldn't deal with ginger ale, the syrupy feel...but as long as I kept a ginger altoid in my mouth, I could deal with the stinkiest of customers. When I couldn't get ginger altoids, Chinese ginger candy worked too.

Mel2085 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks so much ladies!! I am sure there will be a million more questions to come! I am completely confident in my abilities to be a parent.....I have been a nanny for years and have a ton of experience with newborns, toddlers and young adults....i just have no experience of being pregnant! So needless to say I am pretty excited but scared to death all at the time

JulieMN Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 20

Congratulations!

JustGettinStarted Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #8 of 20

First of all, congrats! I understand being excited after trying (we tried for over a year before I got pregnant with our son). My morning sickness started off as just that, only in the mornings a few days after I found out. I had to lay in the bed and my husband brought me a banana Popsicle every morning for a few weeks. That really helped. Then, it became less severe first thing in the morning, but lasted all day for the first 20 weeks. I remember crying at 2 a.m. because I was just so tired of it, but said, "he's totally worth it!" icon_smile.gif What helped me was:
ALWAYS eat breakfast! Not only does it help, but it is good for you and baby. I've always been a breakfast person, but there were many days I couldn't handle even thinking about breakfast. So, I started drinking Carnation Instant breakfast (I liked the chocolate) every morning before heading off to work. It has vitamins in it, plus (depending on the fat content of your milk) is a good source of quick protein. Once I got to work (school teacher) I would eat oatmeal or something before the kids came in.

Snacks and frequent meals: if I got the slightest bit hungry I was throwing up. So, I had healthy snacks all day and never missed a meal.

I know it's awful, but just remind yourself your baby is totally worth what you are going through...and always have a grocery bag with you. I kept tons in my car, my coat pocket, my purse, and my desk at work. icon_smile.gif Again, congrats! Enjoy it because it goes far too quickly. My little guy just turned 10 months old and I feel like I just found out I was pregnant last week. icon_smile.gif

lecrn Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 20

You can try to eat small, frequent meals. Have some crackers by your bedside and eat some before getting up in the morning. Avoid smells & foods that make you nauseous. I was extremely averted to anything sweet during both of my pregnancies.
I'm currently in my 2nd pregnancy, and the nausea was very bad during the 1st trimester. I had to make myself eat, & I lost about 10 pounds. I didn't have morning sickness. I had ALL DAY sickness! I had about enough, and asked the md if I could take something. There's actually several options. I ended up taking Unisom and Folbecal (B vit complex) @ night. It took about a week to start to work. I tried going off it a few times, and I paid the price. There's also prescription Zofran. It's a wonderful med. that's given to chemo. patients. I opted not to take it b/c it can be constipating. You can also try Sea Bands, which are wrist bands that can be bought over the counter. There's also a new product call Prima Bella. It looks like a wrist watch. When you feel nausea coming on, you press a button & it sends impulses to your wrist nerves. It's around $190, but your insurance may pay for it.
Thankfully, a lot of the sickness will probably subside after your 1st trimester. Although, I've heard of those being sick the pregnancy. Good luck!

Shelle_75 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 20

Munching on crackers before I even rolled out of bed helped. Eat something, even just a cracker, every hour or so, to keep your stomach from getting completely empty. Mine was worse when I was hungry. And I had to give up cakes for eight months with our third one, I could not stomach the thought of making icing.

God bless you and your new little life and congratulations!!

Mel2085 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks again ladies!! I have started the crackers in the morning and always having snacks around me! I haven't done too bad. Last friday was bad but I tried wearing a pair of jeans and they were tight so all day i felt gross!!! so at 5 weeks....my stomach has grown enough that I am wearin maternity pants.....my mom and his mom are all says....Maybe it's twins! I am excited about that but we shall see!!! Only 29 more days until my first doc. appointment!!!!

Oh and the other thing......my boobs hurt SOOOOOOO bad!!! I've already gone from a 38DD to a 40F! seriously?!?! This could get painful!!! But like someone said before....they are totally worth it!!

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 20

Congratulations! What helped me was orange oil, anything with orange oil in it settled my stomach. Orange milano cookies were good (or maybe I just wanted an excuse to eat orange milanos). Just make sure that it's real orange oil and not imitation.

Mel2085 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks Cstumeczar......but I don't know if I will try that one....oranges give me horrible heartburn!!! I've noticed anything acidic is horrible....guess I will be cutting out pasta icon_sad.gif

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2085

Thanks Cstumeczar......but I don't know if I will try that one....oranges give me horrible heartburn!!! I've noticed anything acidic is horrible....guess I will be cutting out pasta icon_sad.gif

Oh geez, then don't try that! I had horrible heartburn when I was pregnant. I slept with a bottle of liquid antacid next to the bed,that helped A LOT!

Mel2085 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #15 of 20

I have that by my bedside, in each bathroom, in the kitchen and at work, and tablets in my purse! I should buy stock in them!! HAHA

MelissaAnn84 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:34am
post #16 of 20

I used sea sickness bracelets for both of my pregnancies and never barfed once! You can buy them at sporting goods store, but i bought mine at the dollar store. they are a little wristband (like the athletic type) with a little plastic ball on it that you place on the vein on the inside of either wrist (they come with instructions about where to place them). every time i felt a little queasy, i popped those on and within a minute i was feeling much better.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:41am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaAnn84

I used sea sickness bracelets for both of my pregnancies and never barfed once! You can buy them at sporting goods store, but i bought mine at the dollar store. they are a little wristband (like the athletic type) with a little plastic ball on it that you place on the vein on the inside of either wrist (they come with instructions about where to place them). every time i felt a little queasy, i popped those on and within a minute i was feeling much better.

I remember those...All this is coming back to me now...ugh. When I was about 2 months pregnant with my first I came into the living room where my husband was riding the exercise bike and sweating like a pig. I lost it, and to this day I can't smell sweat without feeling queasy. I could never join a gym...(where's the vomit emote when you need one?)

doramoreno62 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:55am
post #18 of 20

Yes, those sea sickness bracelets worked wonders for my daughter. She swears by them and recommends them to anyone who has nausea, be it from pregnancy or not. I heard they work well for hangovers too!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Mel2085 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:31am
post #19 of 20

Looks like I know where I'm going on my way to work! Yesterday was another bad day! Nothing like as your coworkers are coming in vomitting in the trash can!

pajnpis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #20 of 20

Congrats...for me, with my first I had morning sickness for 3 month... hated it! Can barely keep anything down and was really really sensitive to smell. What really helped me was eating what I was craving for. Other than that, I can't keep anything down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%