How Do I Attach Candy Melts To Buttercream?

Decorating By Mb20fan Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm by DianeLM

Mb20fan Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:42am
post #1 of 7

Hello all. I'm using Sugarshack's crusting buttercream and wish to attach some candy melts for decoration on the side of my cake. I usually use the candy melts to adhere fondant decorations to buttercream, but what's the best way to adhere the candy melts to buttercream without messing up the molded shape? Is there concern for the weight of the candy to cause it to slide down or will the buttercream hold it's own?

First time trying this...any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you kindly for your time. icon_wink.gif

6 replies
Mb20fan Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone out there??? Lol...any tips on prior experiences would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

DanaG21 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

I wonder if you could just slightly heat up the bottom of the melt to cause it to stick? I've never used candy melts on a cake but that is what I would try. Get a small pan and have it barely warm and then rub the melt on the bottom just until it starts to melt and then pop it on the cake. Hope this helps or you get someone more qualified!

Cakegirl313 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 7

I have done this a couple of times. I just tend to add the candy melts to the cake before the buttercream sets up. This way it is still soft and will stick. If you have to wait for it to crust so you can smooth it out, then you can just use buttercream or royal icing to attach them. I've never tried heating the cocolate up but that may work. I just tend to use the other things because they are on hand and royal icing is like cement! icon_smile.gif

ellentwn Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

i just did a cake with candy melts attached to the side. i just attached with a dab of bc. they held fine. wish i could post pics, but some little hands messed with the settings of my camera and can't download them icon_cry.gif

Mb20fan Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you guys for replying! I will try to dab buttercream.

DianeLM Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 7

I've glued a lot of chocolate pieces to my buttercream cakes. Any of these will work - a dab of melted chocolate, a dab of buttercream, a dab of royal icing. I really prefer to use chocolate when I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%