How Do I Use The Design Stencils Onto Royal Icing?

Decorating By VizayCakes Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 10:12am by Evoir

VizayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VizayCakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:56am
post #1 of 17

i am doing a cake for the weekend, and i am planing to ues a stencil design on the cake but dont know what u use as the "paint" lol...can i just use a frosting and wipe it over the stencil ? any help would be awsome icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:24am
post #2 of 17

What is your cake iced with?

I do mostly fondant cakes, and apply stencils using a plastic pallette knife and thickened royal icing.

HTH!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:36am
post #3 of 17

ditto what Evoir said, RI applied in a diaganol downward swipe across the stencil, I use a palate knife or an offset spatula (depends on the size of the stencil)

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 17

is it possible to use some gel food color mixed with alcohol as paint on fondant? if so, would you use a brush to apply it?

eta: is the royal icing method is what is generally used on those gorgeous damask wedding cakes? white fondant covered cakes covered with a lovely damask pattern? especially stunning when damask is done in black...does the black ri bleed onto the white fondant?

VizayCakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 17

ok thanx guys....an yea i will be useing white fondent...but how it i make thickened royal icing? lol an what would happened if i just used a frosting, would it run do u think?
thanx again for the help icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 17

I would not use frosting, it can smear terribly and make a mess. Just add more powdered sugar to make thicker RI, not too thick, maybe as thick as peanut butter

VizayCakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 17

ok thanx pattycakesnj thumbs_up.gif i will test it out

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:31am
post #8 of 17

I'm thinking of trying stenciling with Wilton Mist colour. I assume it might be like airbrushing - except in a can. Anyone tried this method?

VizayCakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:36am
post #9 of 17

oh wow wendalls, i havent heard of it but i think it'd b a good way to do it, dosent seem like it would be as fiddly as haveing to try hold the stencil and scrap over it without moving it at the same time...lol...

Evoir Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:56am
post #10 of 17

Wendalls - the biggest issue with spraying/airbrushing is overspray, so maske sure you mask off any areas on the cake where you do NOT want the stencilled colour!

diamonds and rust: I use liquid food colouring and fine sable paintbrushes for painting directly on cakes with fondant. If you don't have liquid food colouring, you can use airbrush colours as they are the right consistency.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 11:19am
post #11 of 17

How do you keep the stencil tight against the cake while using one hand to apply the RI?

rb822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rb822 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 17

i remember seeing a tutorial on this not too long ago. maybe google it.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 17

diamonds and rust: I use liquid food colouring and fine sable paintbrushes for painting directly on cakes with fondant. If you don't have liquid food colouring, you can use airbrush colours as they are the right consistency.

HTH icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Thank you Evoir

Do you mean the gel colors like what wilton makes? If so, then I take it I would not have to dilute the color with alcohol but apply it "straight"? When you say liquid food colors I am thinking of that crappy stuff they sell in the grocery store with the point little caps thumbsdown.gif
And do you think this would work with stencils, as I am not artistic enough to "freehand" a design..

Again, thank you for your help icon_smile.gif

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks Evoir - good tip. I'll keep it in mind.

Evoir Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 17

Americaolor airbrush colours (and all airbrush colours) are a thin consistency, but give good coverage. The Wilton gel IS a lot thicker, so painting it on would potentially cause the fondant to 'melt' a bit under the paintwork, as the gel would take longer to dry. I hadn't considered it, but if you can, maybe take your Wilton gel, add alcohol to it,, and mix it thoroughly, then test it on a piece of scrap dry fondant.

And yes, I do mean the grocery store consistency colours, though I use a liquid colour range I buy form a cake dec supply shop. I did the purple handpainted cake using a blend of red and blue liquid colour. My main tip would be to let your fondant airdry for a day or two before painting. So, if you are doing American style cake mixes, with fresh (refrigeration-needing) fillings, this method of painting may not be possible.

But definitely try ALCOHOL-thinned gel colours...needs to be alcohol to get it dring FAST. (ie before the fondant can melt).

HTH - please ask for clarification if you need more info icon_smile.gif

diamonds-and-rust Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #16 of 17

Is that Natalie and Vincent's wedding cake? And you freehanded this?? Wow, you are truly an artist. All of your cakes are absolutely stunning. I am going to give the gel/alcohol combo a whirl and see how that works. Thank you for pointing out the necessity of letting the fondant dry a while...i would not have thought to do this. I truly appreciate your help icon_smile.gif

Cathy

Evoir Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:12am
post #17 of 17

No problem Cathy! I'm happy to help out where I can icon_smile.gif

Good luck with it...and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%