Am I Giving The Bride Enough Time......

Decorating By lolobell Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 5:35am by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone...

i was asked to do a wedding in what i thought was Oct 2011...I agreed but no plans were made yet of course being so far away..

today, however, i find out that the wedding is actually August 2011...and since the time i had agreed to make a cake, i wasn't in the situation i am now. My Mom is very ill, my dad needs care..i have a toddler.....etc etc....and i have little to no time to do any baking....

the bride contacted me today about meeting soon to talk designs etc. I feel that at this time I cannot commit to this wedding...

am i giving her enough time to find someone else? If so, what do i say to her ?

thanks
Mar

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 9

Oh that should be plenty of time...yes....I would get a few names of bakers that you trust and say "I'm sorry...something has come up and I do not want to commit to doing your cake if I cannot guarantee absolute quality and professionalism for your wedding. Therefore I will have to cancel our appointment...but I have the names of 3 very reputable cakers for you to call." Ideally if you know any bakers personally, you could even give them a heads up so you can tell your customer that the baker will be expecting her and will be happy to work with her.

If the bride feels you are doing this for her own good and for the betterment of her wedding, then she will be fine with it.

lolobell Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

thank you so very much. well said and i will indeed put your advice to work! icon_smile.gif

i guess i feel bad for numerous reasons, one being that she is the grand-daughter of a dear lady i know...but, my life has turned to hobby baking to taking care of elderly parents and a toddler..... and like you said, i do not feel comfortable committing to her knowing all that is in my lap now and most likely the future.

thank you again.

lolobell Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 9

who would you recc. in the metro detroit michigan area? i want to give a few names to a bride....i have 2 for her but i would like 2 more..

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Oh that should be plenty of time...yes....I would get a few names of bakers that you trust and say "I'm sorry...something has come up and I do not want to commit to doing your cake if I cannot guarantee absolute quality and professionalism for your wedding. Therefore I will have to cancel our appointment...but I have the names of 3 very reputable cakers for you to call." Ideally if you know any bakers personally, you could even give them a heads up so you can tell your customer that the baker will be expecting her and will be happy to work with her.

If the bride feels you are doing this for her own good and for the betterment of her wedding, then she will be fine with it.

Ditto, and very well said! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Isn't Michelle Bommarito in the Detroit area?

lolobell Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #7 of 9

She is but i don't believe she is doing wedding cakes anymore...i took a class of hers earlier this year in MI and i believe she said she is traveling and teaching.... but, i will check just to be sure!

thanks!!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

thank you so very much. well said and i will indeed put your advice to work! icon_smile.gif

i guess i feel bad for numerous reasons, one being that she is the grand-daughter of a dear lady i know...but, my life has turned to hobby baking to taking care of elderly parents and a toddler..... and like you said, i do not feel comfortable committing to her knowing all that is in my lap now and most likely the future.

thank you again.

You are doing the right thing my dear, for all the right reasons. You will never regret spending too much time with your family. There will be other cakes for you to make, I promise you that!
I think you are giving her enough notice too.

lolobell Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 5:35am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

You are doing the right thing my dear, for all the right reasons. You will never regret spending too much time with your family. There will be other cakes for you to make, I promise you that!
I think you are giving her enough notice too.[/quote

]

Thank you for that...i know right now i have to be there for my family.....i just wish i could balance and compartmentalize and do it all!!! but, i'm no super-hero!!! just an average gal!!

thank you again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%