Weird Question About New Cake Board Smell

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 3:40am by icer101

fruitsnack Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 3

I have my first wedding cake this Saturday (yikes, by the way). I had to get new cake boards to fit the size of the tiers - my biggest sturdiest cake board was too small. I went and bought plywood bases in the right sizes, but the lumber smell is so strong! I use plywood for my other bases (and cover them, obviously), but they were my grandma's and if they smell like anything, they smell like my grandma's kitchen.

I'm afraid that come Saturday, my nice, (hopefully) beautiful wedding cake will not smell like vanilla and butter, but like lumber. icon_eek.gif Any idea how to get these things to not stink?

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

I would think if you cover it (permanently) with white Contact paper now, there wouldn't be a woodsy smell by the time you need it.

Just re-cover it with whatever foil or fondant you were planning to use, but keep the white washable covering on until it gets damaged or needs to be replaced.

icer101 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #3 of 3

leave them out in the open air also. Then cover them close to date. nothing like fresh air to do away with odors. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%