Gluten Free/allergy Baker In Chicago?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 6

For future reference, I'm looking for a gluten free/allergenic bakery in the Chicagoland area?

My newly allergic nephew who lives out there will be having a birthday in five more months and I'm thinking about locating a place who I can order a small cake that is gluten free as well as egg, nut, dairy, and soy free (if such a thing is possible) for him later on.

I suppose my sister could just get a cherrybrook farms mix and use egg substitute and rice milk or something....

Just thought I'd at least get a few names for future reference, if for nothing else than to maybe send them cookies or something.

TIA!

5 replies
caferock05 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe the Bleeding Heart Bakery can accomodate you. They have an allergy form on their website if you click under cakes. I've had their cupcakes and I really liked them.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferock05

Maybe the Bleeding Heart Bakery can accomodate you. They have an allergy form on their website if you click under cakes. I've had their cupcakes and I really liked them.

Thanks! I saw that one online but then you can never tell from all the whiny reviews if they are really good or not.

caferock05 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

I know, I heard mixed reviews as well so it left no choice than to go investigate the situation. I ordered a Slash cupcake and I loved it. I am not even into chocolate cake. I also tasted a bit of the brownie which was very rich and very good, brought home a red velvet cupcake and a carrot cake cupcake for friends.

They sell a cute little recipe book which of course I couldn't pass up.

cakeythings1961 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 6

How thoughtful of you to plan that far ahead for your nephew.

I can't have wheat, but I also can't have sugar, so I can't give a personal review of these bakeries' cakes. However, I've tried Rose's breads, and I've purchased gf cakes from all of them to serve to the many family members who also must abstain from gluten. So anyway, here's a few to get you started:

Rose's is not in the city, exactly, but in the suburb just north of Chicago. My DD attends Northwestern Univ there, so she brings me some of their bread when she comes home. People have always liked the gf cakes I get from them. They are probably your best bet if your nephew has celiac:
http://www.rosesbakery.com/contactus.asp

Swirlz only has cupcakes and the gf selection is limited and will vary, but these are kid-pleasing:
http://www.swirlzcupcakes.com/

Bleeding Heart has a limited selection of gf, but it's fun to see what they're working on in the bakery (they have several locations, one is more child-friendly than the others but can't remember which):
http://www.thebleedingheartbakery.com/cakes.htm

Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%