Another Cake Support Question

Decorating By disney16 Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm by Karen421

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 16

I'm constructing a cake to look like a hotel and I have a support question.

Do I put the supports under the fondant or place them in the cake after it's been covered with fondant?

Thanks in advance

15 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 16

Depends on how you are building it. If you are stacking straight up, then covering, you need to put supports for every 4" to 6" of cake. If you are stacking like a wedding cake, then after you complete the design, then support it before you stack. HTH

disney16 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks.

I am stacking straight up but the fondant will be getting applied to each tier separetly. So do I add the support under the fondant or after I have put on the fondant. It doesn't really matter to me but I just need to know which way is the best.

Thanks again

Karen421 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 16

If you are stacking straight up (1 tall cake) put your supports every 4" - 6". So say for example: 2" layer - buttercream 2" layer. bubble t-straws or dowels and foam core or cake board - 2" layer - buttercream 2" layer. bubble t-straws or dowels and foam core or cake board and repeat until you reach your height. I also use a dowel that I have pre-drilled into the base. I hope that helps.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 16

I'm not as experienced as alot of the CC'rs, but I put my straws/dowels in the individual tiers after I've covered them in fondant. Hope this helps.

I think I understand what the previous poster was saying though....if all layers are the same size and you are going to stack them all before applying the fondant, then you would go ahead and put your straws/dowels in before you put on the fondant.

disney16 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 16

cool! I really just needed to know if I should put the supports in the cake prior to covering in fondant or after. Each layer is being covered separtly so I should be ok with putting the fondant on first and then adding the supports.

Thanks again everyone

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 16

I'm not really certain of your plan, but my recommendation is to make your cakes, every 4-6" dowel and board them and stack the whole thing. Then trim it all up, crumb coat, then you can still panel it with fondant if you want. If you cover a bunch of square cakes and then dowel and stack straight up, it probably will not line up perfectly. But I have no idea what this hotel looks like, so it may be just fine that way.

disney16 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 16

I thought about doing it in panels but the thought of that actually makes me very nervous since I will be doing this alone with no one to help me in case it need help. Luckily I'm putting a little ledge in between each tier so I'm ok with doing the tiers separate.

Thank You

Karen421 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I'm not really certain of your plan, but my recommendation is to make your cakes, every 4-6" dowel and board them and stack the whole thing. Then trim it all up, crumb coat, then you can still panel it with fondant if you want. If you cover a bunch of square cakes and then dowel and stack straight up, it probably will not line up perfectly. But I have no idea what this hotel looks like, so it may be just fine that way.

thumbs_up.gif

disney16 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 16

How can I attach a picture of the cake?

I keep trying to add it as an attachment but it won't attach.

aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 16

just upload it into your photos

disney16 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks and I uploaded the picture. I would really appreciate any ideas or assistance that you could offer.

I will start working on the cake tonight.

(The picture is under my photos)

Thanks in advance

Karen421 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 16

That really helps! If I were doing it, I would do basically 2 tiers. The bottom blocks and the tall window section. You would actually need to put support under the window section and in the window section. Stack, fill, crumb coat and fondant the bottom block section. Stack, and fill the top window section up to about 4" inches. Add your support - stack and fill the next section on top, then crumb coat and fondant. Then put support in the bottom block section, and stack the top tier (window section). I hope that is clear. icon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 16

Are you sculpting all of those bees to put on it and the big one on top?

It looks like 3 tiers total, so you can do your bottom separate, do the brick and all. If you are opposed to stacking the top and then fondanting, you should at least stack the top 2 cakes and trim them together, then take them apart and cover them both. It's going to give you a cleaner line.

I personally would do the bottom tier (complete with brick), stack the top 2 tiers separately, trim them, cover them in fondant together, then place onto the doweled brick cake. I would put 2 center dowels in it, I guess that may not make them centered, but 2, that way the cake doesn't twist. then add in the details.

hth

disney16 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 16

Yes all of the bees are being sculpted ( by someone else actually) and we are using cake wires to make them come out of the windows.

The cake is actually 3 tiers total and each tier is a different flavor it that matters also.

The bottom tier is a 10 inch square chocolate
the top tiers are acually 3 layer 8 inch square cakes one is lemon and the other is yellow.

My original plan was to do the 10 inch cake separate and add supports
- 2nd tier will be iced and fondant separate with supports
- 3rd tier will also be iced and fondant separate but I was also thinking about adding supports to help with the top part that is the hotel sign made out of cereal treats and also to help support the bee.

For transporting the cake I planned on leaving the 10 in cake separate but attaching the top tier together but adding a dowel rod that will go thru both cakes.

Once we get to the place we will stack all the cakes togethers, insert the bees , add the big one on top and then add take out the first dowel rod and replace it with another one that will go thru all of the tiers.

Does this make sense? I can also add some lines down the side in case my corners are tearing or to make the cake look more lined up. The design is mine and I can basically do whatever I want.

Karen421 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #16 of 16

I would have a center dowel and stack like a wedding cake. Put your fondant on first then support each tier with your favorite support system.

Good Luck and post pictures when you are done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%