So Are You Saying Dont Buy A Cricut Cake?

Decorating By coldtropics Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm by SillySkittles

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 11:32am
post #31 of 91

Does Linda McClure sell her gumpaste? I ordered her DVD and it did not come with her recipe, apparently the earlier ones did. Has anyone tried to Cricut gumpaste? I mixed Tylose with Satin Ice and it was very sturdy and cut smooth. I wonder how the texture compares...

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:24pm
post #32 of 91

this is my advice to you, just because we are having problems with it and yes I mena we becasue I have lots of problems with it and right now I hate my cricut cake machine but I am not giving up I will make it work for me.
this dose not mean you can't try it and see how it works for you . you might like it who knows
good luck

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #33 of 91

Her recipe is on the silhouette DVD. If you take her class you will also get her recipe. I've added tylose to Wilton fondant and had good success with it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #34 of 91

I think she also sells her premade g/p.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #35 of 91

thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:28am
post #36 of 91

This is from the cricut cake makers webpage.........regarding prep and freezing....also the url
http://www.cricut.com/cricutcake/tips.aspx

Cutting Gum Paste:

Gum paste will be crumbly and stiff or may even be a little hard when it comes out of the tub.
Gently knead a portion of the gum paste until it becomes pliable and easy to work. If it is too stiff to work with, heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
If you wish to color the gum paste, knead in gel-based food coloring until desired color is achieved and color is evenly distributed.
Lightly dust both sides with a cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture.
Using a rolling pin or a pasta machine, roll out to about 1/16" thick (about the thickness of one or two CDs).
Apply to a greased Cricut Cake mat. Smooth out all the air bubbles using the smoother from the Cricut Cake Tool Kit or a rolling pin. Press down firmly to ensure the gum paste is adhered to the mat and that the air bubbles are gone.
Place mat in the freezer for about 30 minutes to make it firmer for cutting.
Remove mat from freezer and immediately place in the Cricut Cake machine. Use directional arrows to move the cutting blade ½" from top and side edges. Medium speed and pressure are recommended for best results.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:28am
post #37 of 91

i love love love LOVE my cricut cake! it really makes me sad when i see so many people saying they returned theirs after only a day or two of playing with it. I tried various gumpastes and fondants in it and have found that satin ice (w/ or w/o tylose) and Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste (recipe: http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm) work amazing! i think every caker should own one, i am such a huge advocate. and to top it off, it is so wonderful i use it for all my other crafts too! i purchased a deep cut housing/blades and paper mat and switching to scrapbooking/ fabric cutting is so easy. yes there is a learning curve and yes it does take practice, but buy one and try it for yourself. i hope you love it!

tiggy2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:09am
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

This is from the cake makers webpage.........regarding prep and freezing....also the url
http://www..com/cricutcake/tips.aspx

Cutting Gum Paste:

Gum paste will be crumbly and stiff or may even be a little hard when it comes out of the tub.
Gently knead a portion of the gum paste until it becomes pliable and easy to work. If it is too stiff to work with, heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
If you wish to color the gum paste, knead in gel-based food coloring until desired color is achieved and color is evenly distributed.
Lightly dust both sides with a cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture.
Using a rolling pin or a pasta machine, roll out to about 1/16" thick (about the thickness of one or two CDs).
Apply to a greased Cake mat. Smooth out all the air bubbles using the smoother from the Cake Tool Kit or a rolling pin. Press down firmly to ensure the gum paste is adhered to the mat and that the air bubbles are gone.
Place mat in the freezer for about 30 minutes to make it firmer for cutting.
Remove mat from freezer and immediately place in the Cake machine. Use directional arrows to move the cutting blade ½" from top and side edges. Medium speed and pressure are recommended for best results.

Wow the thickness of 2 CDs is pretty thinck for a nice clean cut. I don't know who came up with these directions but they aren't even close to Linda's method. Cricut may have manufactured the machine but Linda created the method and and took it to them. Without her input there never would have been a cricut cake icon_wink.gif Just sayin

shearpamela Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:08pm
post #39 of 91

thumbs_up.gif
Satin Ice and Tylose worked great for my first time success also, I will have to try Nicholas Lodge next just to get a comparison. I would love to see more cakers getting success from their Cricuts! It is so much fun to be able to play with and have it do what it is supposed too!

alhicks77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alhicks77 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #40 of 91

I love mine, but I was familiar with the Cricut from scrapbooking before. 9/10 times it works perfect for me. I use the Make The Cut software and you can use any font and any svg file on the internet or turn jpgs in SVG files and cut. I have used it to cut spiderman, webs, Batman, Jonas brothers, sports players, and so much more! It is a bit of a hassle to drag it out and set it up, but it has become part of my decorating set up routine. I set up my little Cricut station and then it is easy to just roll out the fondant, slap it on the mat with some Crisco and cut. I have used gumpaste, Satin Ice, Duff, Wilton and Bakels fondant all with success. I've never had to freeze it or chill it. I hope everyone can work out the kinks, because it really is a genius concept. I wouldn't know what to do without mine.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:04pm
post #41 of 91

Michael's has the Cake Cricut on clearance right now for $149.99. Go get it before it's gone!

shearpamela Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #42 of 91

What is the reason for the low price? Is there a new improved version in the works? I know they teamed up with Martha Stewart and have a white version now, but other than the color I'm not sure of any other changes.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #43 of 91

It is currently $400 here at my Hobby Lobby and it is only the plain basic kit.

madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:01am
post #44 of 91

I just used a new mmf recipe, and tried it today...rolled it thin and popped it in the feezer like the makers of cricut cake suggest, and man it worked awesome!!!!! I am so happy not to have to use gp always

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #45 of 91

anyone know when the sale ends? do you have to have a coupon for this price?

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #46 of 91

went to get the cricut cake and michaels was out. They said the item was being discontinued by cricut??!! Is this true?

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #47 of 91

They're not discontinuing it. What I think they're doing is introducing the Martha Stewart Cricut Cake, and maybe trying to get rid of the red ones. Not sure if Michaels will carry that though. I have Cricut Cake as a "friend" on Facebook and they said they're not discontinuing it (I thought to my self WTH?! Better go stock up on mats and blades before I can't buy them anymore!!)

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:35pm
post #48 of 91

Just got mine for $149.99 from Michaels!!! I am so excited and can't wait to try it out!

Anjaligg

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhicks77

I love mine, but I was familiar with the from scrapbooking before. 9/10 times it works perfect for me. I use the Make The Cut software and you can use any font and any svg file on the internet or turn jpgs in SVG files and cut. I have used it to cut spiderman, webs, Batman, Jonas brothers, sports players, and so much more! It is a bit of a hassle to drag it out and set it up, but it has become part of my decorating set up routine. I set up my little station and then it is easy to just roll out the fondant, slap it on the mat with some Crisco and cut. I have used gumpaste, , Duff, Wilton and Bakels fondant all with success. I've never had to freeze it or chill it. I hope everyone can work out the kinks, because it really is a genius concept. I wouldn't know what to do without mine.

Same here icon_smile.gif Love Make The Cut.. I made all my halloween stencils using that program.. it's fun and real easy to navigate once you have a play with it. I googled 'stencil patterns' and saved heaps of images to my hard drive then converted them to MTC.. FANTASTIC! I love using Sugar Veil with my cricut - I scrap it over the mat (crisco first! - or copha here in OZ) real thin and let it sit over night.. works a treat. I also used MM fondant with a touch of tylose and it worked fabulous too icon_smile.gif
To all those beginner Cricut owners - Stick with it and take the time to play with it and experiment.. you will crack a method that works perfect for you.
I will be trying Fondx in the next few days so I will keep everyone posted on how that works out icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm
post #50 of 91

Hmmmmm..bought one on sale at Michael's and used it once. The jury is still out for me, I need to read more of these forums on the Cricut when I have more time.

Sweetcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakester Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:28am
post #51 of 91

FYI michaels has it on sale for $149.99

tiggy2 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #52 of 91

There's a new youtube video on the cricut cake mini that's pretty good.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #53 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

There's a new youtube video on the cake mini that's pretty good.

The link for it is posted on page 1 of this thread... icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:46am
post #54 of 91

Micheal's won't be carrying them anymore. Too many returns is what I was told, but I don't know that for fact. It looks like Hobby Lobby is keeping them. Our Micheal's only had 3 machines left when I was there the other day. All of the replacement blades were gone, and all of the mats were gone...

madgeowens Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:25am
post #55 of 91

I could not make these letters without the cricut the leaves look real...at first I was ready to scream...but I kept trying...now look at this cake and the one next to it with the cheer leaders on my page....don't give up...once you get the hang of it, you will love it....
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1857567

here is the other...sorry I cant get them up on here

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1841548

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 5:42am
post #56 of 91

anyone know if the cricut cake will cut mmf

madgeowens Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:41am
post #57 of 91

yes, but freeze it for 20 mins first

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:30am
post #58 of 91

well, i received my cricut cake for christmas, and needless to say, i was really nervous to take it out of the box. I have been reading and watching videos and thought tonight would be as good as any night to start. I had some left over "duff" fondant and thought I would try to play with that. Rolled it out, thin, and put it in the freezer on my cricut mat for about three minutes. Loaded the mat and was so suprised..... it cut perfect the first time!!!! I can't tell you how happy I am so I wanted to share my experience.

I can tell everyone that you just have to listen and find what works best for you. I tried the freezing method and it just happened to work. Keep trying out there and I hope you get the results i had. I will post my new years cake tomorrow icon_smile.gif

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:58am
post #59 of 91

So many good tips! I bought one when they were selling for $99, I couldn't resist! So glad I did though, it's fun to use now that I'm getting the hang of it. I hadn't heard of letting it dry a bit, I'm going to try that next time I use my cricut.

WhiskMeAwayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhiskMeAwayCakes Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:21am
post #60 of 91

Does anyone know where to buy extra mats for the mini (12x6')? I cant find them on the Joann's website, ebay or Amazon.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%