So Are You Saying Dont Buy A Cricut Cake?

Decorating By coldtropics Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm by SillySkittles

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 91

Im a bit confused, forgive me as i know the cricut topic has prob. been covered to death... but the more cakes i see done with it the more im considering buying one... i am the worst at cutting with an exacto knife, hate stencils and cutters.... Can i buy an elcheapo version of the cricut and get by or do i need the super duper cake version? also ive seen bundles on hsn... upwards of $3-400. Do i need that or what exactly do i need. thanks guys

90 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 91

i think the best advice is don't buy it on a whim!

do you find yourself making a lot of shapes from flat fondant / gumpaste / modeling chocolate often? do you have the patience for the unfortunate learning curve? would you consider buying a similar cutting machine that's not made by Provocraft (cricut)?

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 91

I bought mine at Michaels for 99.00, and then saw them go on sale even less for 89.00. It is the small personal cutter, but fine for now. A good place to start to get your feet wet...
I have read that Silhouette and Gazelle are as good as Cricut, but have not seen it from personal experience.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 91

I sent my cricut cake back. I didn't like it all. Too time consuming.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 91

I agree with Grandmomof1.....I bought one..tried to fiddle around with it for hours in frustration and sold it on Kijiji....If you have the time and patience it may be worth it otherwise don't bother.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 91

After viewing many of the negative comments here on CC I had pretty much decided against purchasing a Cricuit. It was a fairly easy decision since the price exceeded what I could justify for the product, especially considering how many complaints have been posted. While shopping at Michaels on Sunday 10/17 my DH noticed the price had dropped to $199, and all of the accessories and cake cartridges were 50% off. Before I knew it we were at the checkout buying one along with a slew of Cricuit goodies and gadgets. Yes - truly an impulse purchase icon_lol.gif

I didnt open the box for three days while I continued to debate whether to return it or not. LOL knowing how I am, hubbie made the decision for me. He opened the boxes, set up the machine, got out my Satin Ice gum paste and prodded me to have some fun with it. Much to my extreme shock the darn thing works great. I havent had any of the problems others have written about. My machine easily cuts designs as small as 1; I just make sure that my patch of gum paste or fondant is at least 3 x 3.

I suspect, but cant confirm since a lot of people dont note which state (US) they reside, that some of the problems folks have are related to humidity. I live in a very dry climate which is great for working with fondant and gum paste.

Im glad I purchased the cake version since it has design elements to protect it from damage due to food particles. I feel its very quick and easy to set up and put away not sure why some find that aspect troublesome. I have a Pazzles cutter for scrapbooking (aka boat anchor) that thing is a piece of crap icon_mad.gif and was a huge waste of money. Perhaps the Pazzles gave me a higher tolerance for machines and greater determination to master them. Wish I had bought a Cricuit years ago instead of that thing.

Best wishes!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #7 of 91

I, like 03FLSTF, winged it first time out of the box. Mind you, I have not used it with fondant, but with Sugar Veil.. it worked like a dream! I do agree with 03FLSTF's comment regarding climate though.. could be a major contributing factor.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 91

There's talk about a cricut mini coming out around Thanksgiving..hopefully that will be more reasonably priced. I figure the longer I wait the more likely the newer versions will get more user friendly and the price will come down.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 91

This is the preview for the new cricut cake mini.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #10 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FLSTF

After viewing many of the negative comments here on CC I had pretty much decided against purchasing a Cricuit. It was a fairly easy decision since the price exceeded what I could justify for the product, especially considering how many complaints have been posted. While shopping at Michaels on Sunday 10/17 my DH noticed the price had dropped to $199, and all of the accessories and cake cartridges were 50% off. Before I knew it we were at the checkout buying one along with a slew of Cricuit goodies and gadgets. Yes - truly an impulse purchase icon_lol.gif

I didnt open the box for three days while I continued to debate whether to return it or not. LOL knowing how I am, hubbie made the decision for me. He opened the boxes, set up the machine, got out my gum paste and prodded me to have some fun with it. Much to my extreme shock the darn thing works great. I havent had any of the problems others have written about. My machine easily cuts designs as small as 1; I just make sure that my patch of gum paste or fondant is at least 3 x 3.

I suspect, but cant confirm since a lot of people dont note which state (US) they reside, that some of the problems folks have are related to humidity. I live in a very dry climate which is great for working with fondant and gum paste.

Im glad I purchased the cake version since it has design elements to protect it from damage due to food particles. I feel its very quick and easy to set up and put away not sure why some find that aspect troublesome. I have a Pazzles cutter for scrapbooking (aka boat anchor) that thing is a piece of crap icon_mad.gif and was a huge waste of money. Perhaps the Pazzles gave me a higher tolerance for machines and greater determination to master them. Wish I had bought a Cricuit years ago instead of that thing.

Best wishes!

\\
Glad you are liking it! I love mine. It has taken me a little time to learn it and work with the medium but all in all I am glad I made the purchase.

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:02am
post #11 of 91

Thanks all, the designs are beautiful and i know for certain by hand its not happening in my case... i think im gonna give it a go. I dont think humidity will be an issue for me. and if the price is 199 now... well, what am i waiting for? Havent had a chance to review the mini... and idk if there is any difference other than size/capacity....

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #12 of 91

I have the cricut and the silhouette and have great success with both of them. Using the right product and preparing it correctly is the key. If you want to cut intricut patterns or very small letters and designs a pasta roller is a must.

Dayyi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayyi Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #13 of 91

I too bought the cake cricut, I was one of the crazies who pre ordered it. I live in Florida and deal with the humidity issues. My Wilton teacher recommended I freeze my fondant, gumpaste for 30 mins. But I was a bit frustrated with the machine. This last weekend I tried new approach I let it sit out and dry a bit. When I went to cut with it, it made perfect cuts. I bought the SCALE software and look forward to making great cool patterns!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #14 of 91

This is a subject that can go both ways ...and is based really, on the person's patience and how they want to pursue it. I personally have NOT bought it due to sooo many complaints of it,,but I'm still not sure yet..I'm more on the side of NO,,but hesitating still..hard to say

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #15 of 91

I'm so frustrated! I asked my husband to get me one for my bday, then after reading all the negative reviews told him to cancel the bday request! I like what I think that machine can do but it looks like a complete nightmare to learn etc. and I am very computer literate. I guess i will just wait until I feel I can really benefit from it. icon_sad.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #16 of 91

I love mine. You need to stick fondant or gumpaste in the freezer and chill it well for it to cut nicely. It (like most cake decorating) takes patience and then it will pay off. Look at my cheerleader cake, I could not have done the cheerleaders without cricut cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1841548

tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #17 of 91

You don't need to put it in the freezer if you use the right product and prepare it correctly. You do however have to roll it out ahead of time and it must be rolled very, very thin (you should be able to see through it).

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #18 of 91

I noticed they are still at $149 at Michael's this week.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #19 of 91

I agree, you don't have to freeze it for it to work. I live in a high humidity area, and freezing is a no no. Rolling thin and letting it dry until it is firm works great for me. The Cricut is a great tool - I wouldn't trade mine for anything, but it takes practice, as any good tool does. icon_rolleyes.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #20 of 91

I just finished watching the you tube video on the mini ciruit, that, I could use. I really just wanted one for letters and intricate scrolls, things that even with cutters are a pain. I wonder what the price will be for that, does anyone here have any idea? I like that it's small and seems pretty easy to use, hopefully the price will be affordable.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #21 of 91

The Cricut cake site says it will be available at JoAnn stores November 1, 2010, but don't list a price for it.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:47am
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

I just finished watching the you tube video on the mini ciruit, that, I could use. I really just wanted one for letters and intricate scrolls, things that even with cutters are a pain. I wonder what the price will be for that, does anyone here have any idea? I like that it's small and seems pretty easy to use, hopefully the price will be affordable.

Oh me too!! Yes I would be curious to know the price.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #23 of 91

ok, googled & saw that the MSRP on the mini is $199. might as well get the larger model on sale at Michael's for the same price I guess!

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #24 of 91

I just got my Cricut Cake and I LOVE IT!!!!!! i am doing a halloween cake for my daughter now and i am using the Holiday cartridge which has halloween characters and its amazing...it is a little hard at first and I have made a few mistakes, by nt rolling the fondant enough and not cutting it to the correct size but once all that is figured out its pretty easy....I was not going to get it because I was worried it may be a waste of money and time but my fiancee got it for me and i cant be happier. If you do nt have patience then I do not recommend it but if you take your time then its a great tool to have icon_biggrin.gif good luck thumbs_up.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #25 of 91

Thanks mbark, $199. sounds just a bit lower than the big one, hum....what to do....what to do.. icon_rolleyes.gif

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:44am
post #26 of 91

oh, and I have seen the cricut cake on sale for 199 at Michaels and Ac Moore

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:29am
post #27 of 91

I havent tried letting it dry out and cut it....but I have good cuts when its in the freezer ten minutes icon_smile.gif I will have to try the dry method

tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #28 of 91

The best thing to do, IMO, is to place it on a greased mat once it's rolled out and store in a ziplock bag overnight. I use the flexible cutting mats from the $ store. Then transfer it the cricut mat (greased) for cutting. I use Linda McClure's gum paste recipe and it works great. If you can't get her recipe try adding tylose to Wilton fondant.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:46pm
post #29 of 91

I love my Cricut.........U have to roll the gumpaste really thin to get great results! if i'm using fondant instead of gumpaste i stick it in the freezer for about 3mins.

wouldn't trade it at all!

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #30 of 91

I posted this in the other Cricut Cake thread, but I work at Jo-Ann and we got our Minis today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%