Need Help With Buttercream Made With Butter

Decorating By heathandhail Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm by heathandhail

heathandhail Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am starting to not like the taste of buttercream that is pure shortening, so I tried out this recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

It worked fine and I really liked it, but later that evening, the cake I had used it on started to have little dark spots.....the icing color was purple and there were little spots everywhere that were much darker purple.

I don't know why this happened. Now I'm afraid to make it again. Could it be my butter wasn't soft enough? How soft do you make your butter for buttercream? Is it because I used salted butter? People that commented on that recipe said they used salted with no problems.

HELP!!

Maybe someone has a better crusting recipe made with butter?

3 replies
ranae5463 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 4

The recipe I use is the crusting buttercream recipe here on CC. It calls for one stick of salted and one stick of unsalted butter and a cup of shortening. I have never gotten a negative comment from any of my customers and they always comment on how good it is. I usually leave the butter out for an hour or so before I mix it up. It's soft thru the whole stick and have never had a problem with color mixing. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 4

It's seperation. I get it too sometimes. Make sure you sift your ps and really cream your butter/shortning before adding anything else. Something didn't get fully incorporated (either fat or tiny ps clumps) and the color is adhearing to that and seperating out. Purple is notoriously hard to work with as well.

heathandhail Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

It's seperation. I get it too sometimes. Make sure you sift your ps and really cream your butter/shortning before adding anything else. Something didn't get fully incorporated (either fat or tiny ps clumps) and the color is adhearing to that and seperating out. Purple is notoriously hard to work with as well.

That makes sense. When i was creaming the butter and shortening I was a little worried because the butter still looked like tiny little clumps. I thought maybe it wasn't soft enough but it had been sitting out for a while. I didn't sift my PS, maybe I will do that next time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%