Re. Cake Comments

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 3:46am by KrissieCakes

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 40

Don't want to get myself in trouble here....and no this did not happen to me today (its happened in the past alot) but I noticed it on someone else's gorgeous cake photo....

Please do not reply to photos with "Please email me the instructions"!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind people PMing me with specific questions about a cake....I have that happen alot and I always respond and do not mind it!!! Its how we learn!!! I do it too!!!!

But I do NOT have "instructions"...I highly doubt many people actually "have instructions". They just do it. They research pictures, they print pictures, they stack cake, and they do it. To write instructions, it will take them 30-45 minutes to detail it out, and technically to make "instructions" they should have been taking photographs throughout their decorating process, and they probably did not do so.

So if you love someone's cake and want to replicate it...PM the person a nice email and tell them you would like to try their cake...they won't mind! And ask them specific questions...like "How did you do this part?" "How did you build the structure?" "What kind of cake did you use?" "How did you support the top?" "What size cutter did you use?"

Don't just say "Please send instructions to xx email" and especially not just in the comment section of the picture. To me, that's lazy and thoughtless. Study the cake, narrow it down to what you don't understand how to do, and then send the decorator a nice message with your questions.

Okay end rant. haha.

39 replies
bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 40

i agree w/ you kitagirl...a nice message won't hurt anyone thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 40

Complete body of PM I received recently...

"How do you make the sugar glass balls? Step by step instructions. "

That's it! Nothing else...no hi no bye no nothing. I was taken aback by the shear expectant tone of it. If I had a choice between in the comment field and a PM like that...I'd rather it be in the comment field so others can see how brassy they are.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 40

Please do not reply to photos with "Please email me the instructions"!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with this 100% Kitagrl. I think that is so rude!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Don't just say "Please send instructions to xx email" and especially not just in the comment section of the picture. To me, that's lazy and thoughtless. Study the cake, narrow it down to what you don't understand how to do, and then send the decorator a nice message with your questions.

You are absolutely right! I could not agree more.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh my!whatever happened to PLEASE & THANK YOU?!...got buried in the flour?? icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif

Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh my!whatever happened to PLEASE & THANK YOU?!...got buried in the flour?? icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif

"Step by Step"?

"Sure, I charge $30 an hour for written tutorials"...or "Sure I charge $100 per hour for lessons."

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 40

I agree Kitagrl. You are correct about having instructions I just DO it. I learn by doing and then some of the skills get better and I change them to what I want them to be.

Get the Wilton books if you want instructions. That's what I do.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 40

WooHoo, what a pertinent post!!
Thanks for taking the time to say what I've thought more than a few times. thumbs_up.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 40

I whole heartedly agree.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 40

Couldn't agree more!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 40

For all those people who do say thankyou and ask please - THANKYOU.

I have had quite a few pm's asking *how to* and *could you help please Blue*.
And then some time down the track - another pm letting me know that their cake is completed and would i like to see it.... or a thankyou for helping.

Not everyone knows good manners - but i can't say i have had a pm telling me what to do - guess i have been lucky. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 40

Absolutely!! Ive never had it happen to me but it bugs me to see it on others photos. Manners people!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 40

I totally agree!! If I have questions, I always PM, compliment the person on their awesome cake, and then ask one or two (max) specific questions, then thank them in advance. I have gotten so many positive responses and many have offered to answer any other questions I had (but I'm not one to bombard).

It's all about respect and common courtesy.

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 40

I see this a lot on people's photos too and wondered, "do they actually write out instructions before they begin". I think its extremely rude of people to expect someone to sit down and write out detailed instructions for them. I have asked a few people on here questions on cakes they have done, but I have never basically asked them to write out instructions for me. Just simple, pan size, etc. icon_smile.gif

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:44pm
post #16 of 40

Being a girl that needs help, since I am a newbie, I agree not to ask for complete instructions, I agree to figure out what you can, and ask only what you don't know. I try to be polite when asking for help, I hope I've never offended anybody.

PS: Thank you so much to all you experienced bakers that are willing to answer questions to newbies like myself (((HUG))) icon_smile.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #17 of 40

I couldn't have said it better. I got one a while back that asked me for full instructions, including how to support a tiered cake and smooth icing for a very difficult cake. If you don't know how to support a 4 tiered cake, I'm not going to spend 2 hours typing up directions from step one to the end. I just don't have the time.
However, there have been some wonderful people who do ask specific questions that I can answer in a few minutes, I'm all about that.
And yes, an acknowledgement would be nice.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #18 of 40

I TOTALLY agree that questions is why we are here! That's what makes this website so great.

I just get sick of these comments (in the gallery) with nothing but "Please send me instructions!" and then you have an email link staring you in the face. Its like they must sit there on their computer waiting for detailed "step by step" instructions to just filter in.

Then once one person does it, you get 10 more "Me too! Please send to my email too!" LOL.

I have gotten to where if people ask me for "step by step instructions" in a PM I just be honest...I say I'm terrible at instructions (I really am) and that I look up photos on Google, stack up some sheet cakes, and start hacking at it with a knife. Seriously...in a nutshell...that's what I do!!!! Sometimes in some of my older cakes I even forget how I did it.

I do try my best to answer specific messages though within a day or two of receiving them. I always appreciate when people take the time to answer mine!

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #19 of 40

I can't stand when I see that and then 10 or me ppl after me too me too me too please icon_redface.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gificon_rolleyes.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #20 of 40

Bluebelles- I have NO problem answering questions. But like Kitagirl, I'm horrible at writing step-by-steps, especially when a lot of info is available on the site (how to smooth a cake, how to stack a cake).
If you have a ? about a certain technique, then ask away, but the broad spectrum "give me instructions" is a little too broad for me. So advice to all newbies, decide exactly what you want to know about a certain part of the cake you like and send that request vrs a general request. You'll get A LOT more help!

I've asked questions via pm too, but I'm always careful to be respectful of people's limited time and am very specific about what I'd like to know. (or I try to be!!)

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #21 of 40

I understand your frustrations,,yet it doesn't seem that you are thankful for even people asking at all due to your beautiful work..Just let it be and if you don't want to do it,,let it go..I don't see appreciation yet complaining..that is just my thought..sorry if this offends anyone,,but be happy for being asked in first place..Or don't post a pic if you think it will happen again. I am not a fan of complainers. so sorry

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #22 of 40

I think its a compliment to you if they want instructions or directions etc.......a please and thank you would be nice. You would think if they can take time to ask, they could tell you what a lovely job you have done as well.....................

hey how DO you make those Christmas balls................................lol jk

Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I understand your frustrations,,yet it doesn't seem that you are thankful for even people asking at all due to your beautiful work..Just let it be and if you don't want to do it,,let it go..I don't see appreciation yet complaining..that is just my thought..sorry if this offends anyone,,but be happy for being asked in first place..Or don't post a pic if you think it will happen again. I am not a fan of complainers. so sorry

That's not really the point I'm trying to make here.... (and I don't think you read all my posts haha I'm totally cool with answering questions!)

The point is that people expect you to have a list of "step by step instructions" for them to replicate your cake. Do you know how time consuming it is to write "step by step instructions"? And then how time consuming it is to copy and paste that to ten different people's email addresses?

The point is that some people are just being plain lazy to say "Please send instructions". They do not want to at least TRY to figure it out, and then message the person to find out the details...they just leave an email address in the comment section and expect step by step instructions to show up in their inbox.

I just think its a bit lazy and a bit rude....and half the time these people don't even attempt to contact the cake designer and ask their questions, which means they REALLY don't want the information that badly. If they did, they'd go ahead and PM the person with their questions.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I think its a compliment to you if they want instructions or directions etc.......a please and thank you would be nice. You would think if they can take time to ask, they could tell you what a lovely job you have done as well.....................

hey how DO you make those Christmas balls................................lol jk

And I have no clue how she made that gorgeous Christmas ball on the front page...haha...and it doesn't look like anything I'd have the patience to make! Its awesome.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #25 of 40

....and for the record, I almost always answer questions in my gallery photo comment section too. Everything but "Please send instructions." icon_lol.gif

jenscreativity Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #26 of 40

NOBODY IS LAZY ON HERE!! THERE ARE NEWBIES ON HERE ALSO>>SO NO,,I don't agree with the lazy part..and I don't think people on here INTENTIONALLY try to be rude either.. They just get excited and warm hearted about your work and ask in like an "awwww".."I wanna know too"..If you dont' want to send instructions..then don't..some people doesn't end up doing that with how busy they are,,but people aren't going to ask over and over again OR maybe just put in your writing below your picture "let me know specific questions, if you want to know how to do this please">>>THen people won't ask the question in that way..They ask in a heart warming way,,NOT being rude NOR lazy..

I don't percept people even newbies being lazy on here one bit..we all work hard.

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #27 of 40

I do not mind giving instructions on how I do a cake I think it is very flattering. The thing that bothers me is I was chastised on one of my photos for not responding with the instructions quickly enough. This is a hobby of mine not my full time job and I travel a lot. I don't ignore the request its just that sometimes I just don't have the time to write out instructions immediately upon request. icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbels

I do not mind giving instructions on how I do a cake I think it is very flattering. The thing that bothers me is I was chastised on one of my photos for not responding with the instructions quickly enough. This is a hobby of mine not my full time job and I travel a lot. I don't ignore the request its just that sometimes I just don't have the time to write out instructions immediately upon request. icon_sad.gif

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about....

Its one thing to help each other out, its another thing to DEMAND it.

jenscreativity Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #29 of 40

You stated from the beginning of this post that people request for instructions..but NOT REPEATINGLY>>>I did not see you state that..bugging you is one thing.but that is not what was stated in here..AND if you they ask you once..and you don't know the person personally...who's to say it's a demand?? Once again..whole heartedly..not demand..and you may want to take the subject of lazy on here..b/c people get offended especially when they don't INTENTIONALLY try to be. I would be flattered with others asking me for first time..but it's not hard to reply and say "when I get a chance,,I'll let you know instructions" right away vs trying to send out all of the instructions to ALL people right away..that way it shows them that you saw their post and you will work on it,,. Be flattered,,don't complain..You are lucky people even ask you because I am proud of my work..it's not good like yours,,but I barely ever get asked..so take it in with pride..

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #30 of 40

@ kitagirl ---> Ditto!

I fit no where in this conversation, since I am a newbie, and no one will ever ask me "how did you do your cake"!

But I just remembered an episode of "The Backyardigans" named "Secret of the Nile".

Now the song is stuck in my head icon_wink.gif

please and thank you ..... are ..... secrets of the nile.... Da Da Da Dadadadada ......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%