Torting Large Tiers

Decorating By ashleyj Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm by ashleyj

ashleyj Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:03am
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to torte a 12-inch squared tier? I am afraid it will fall apart when I try and separate it. I've seen on cake shows where they slice it down the middle, fill each half, and then put back together. Just wondering if that's the norm for this size cake or if anyone has a better way.

5 replies
Teresa1976 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:21am
post #2 of 6

I just did one this past June. I lost the first one and had to bake another because of torting. I ended up using a cardboard cake square to slide between them and lift it off. I left it on there untill I filled the layer and then just slid or wiggled the layer onto the other.

leily Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:27am
post #3 of 6

i freeze all of my cake so I level and tort before I freeze. Then before it is thawed 100% I handle each layer so it is still cold and firm.

Another option is to slide a cake board or cookie sheet (one w/o a lip on one side) under the layer and lift up to move it.

aligotmatt Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #4 of 6

I cut it and then slide cardboard between it for bigger tiers.

nhbaker Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 6

Ditto on the cardboard trick. Also -- quick tip, cut a small notch in the side of the cake you're torting prior to inserting the cardboard. That way when you go to put in back on, you can match it up to it's "other half".

ashleyj Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 6

I've tried the cardboard before but my cakes stick to the cardboard. I think I'll stick w/the cookie sheet method. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%