How Do I Get Gold Or Silver Fondant Accents On A Cake?

Decorating By ttfnvj Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 9:34am by Evoir

ttfnvj Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:53am
post #1 of 3

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I am going to be working on a cake and am learning all sorts of techniques, but I am curious on something. I keep seeing fondant that is white but then gets painted with different colors. What I am specifically looking for is to paint it gold or silver. How do I achieve that look? What exactly can I use to paint the fondant gold or silver? Is it luster dust mixed with vodka; is it an actual edible paint that looks almost like a gel? If it is a mixture that I create, what would the mixture be? I really love this look and want to do a good job, especially since it's for my boss' daughter's sweet 16 cake. Thanks again, and I look forward to the replies. icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
CandyCU Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:36am
post #2 of 3

Hi ttfnvj,

I know what you mean, this is what I do (so I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but it works for me) to achieve that matallic look.

To get that affect I suggest you use a luster dust or similar (non-toxic) metallic powder and mix with vodka or a clear vanilla essence. If it is gold or silver that you think you'll use again, get yourself a small container with a lid - put a little of your powder from the original (not all of it) in there and add your clear alcohol so you get a good paint consistency - then paint away. Top up your powder and alcohol as you go - if you leave the lid off it will evaporate and dry out faster. When you're done, pop the lid on and label the jar, the next time you use it it may have dried up a bit so just top up with your alcohol again and you're ready to go!

Oh, also, I'd only recommend painting on dried fondant/paste and dried royal icing as this technique does not work on soft buttercream (though I haven't tried it on a crusting buttercream, so can't give you info on that!).

Evoir Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 3

You can get an alcohol-soluble thick liquid from cake decorating supply shops that comes in a nail varnish-like bottle. It usually comes in light gold, antique gold and silver. In the good old days you could buy a really nice chromey silver paint, but can't seem to find it anywhere these days!

Quote by @%username% on %date%