Fondant, Marzipan, Marzifon, Or White Chocolate???

Decorating By Mikail Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:15pm by LindaF144a

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of 2

Hello CC... Have been receiving comments that the fondant isn't great and if I can use something else instead. I don't have time to fondant so mine is store bought...and it's great (except for the taste). I keep telling my friends that am aware that fondant doesn't usually taste good and that it's used mostly for decorating, etc. They keep insisting to use something else as the kids are getting disappointed. I know in Beirut, it's common to use marzipan but I think marzipan can have an over powering taste and may not go well with all recipes. Shall I add some extracts to my fondant? Use marzipan? Also have in one of my books the idea of mixing fondant with marzipan (marzifon) or making white chocolate paste. Your experience with this topic?

1 reply
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 2

I just made and served a 3 tiered fondant covered cake this past weekend. I had one guest out of 100 ask for a cake with the least amount of fondant possible. The bride just chirped right in and said to her that you could just peel it away and not eat it. Good for her. I always try to put a little bit thicker than a crumb coat on the cake so that it can be peeled away and you can still have frosting on the cake.

Rather than finding a better tasting fondant, you can start educating your guests to do the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%