Newbie Here!

Decorating By TheCakeLab Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 2:16am by TheCakeLab

TheCakeLab Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:01am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and just recently have started getting into decorating. My first attempt was at my mother in law's birthday cake. All things considered i think i did OK. I'm planning on making my daughter's first birthday cake in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions.
I want to make a 3 layer stacked cake covered with fondant. i'm wondering, after i've cooled the cake for trimming/crumb coating do i put the fondant on after it's chilled again, or on fresh buttercream? i put it on chilled on my MIL's cake and it didn't stick very well to the sides, it just kind of hung there. did i miss a step? i haven't taken a class yet (i finally signed up i go for my first one on 11/9)

someday i would love to have my own business doing this so if there are any words of advice you guys have i would appreciate it. everyone is so talented!

3 replies
gigiel Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 4

Experience is the BEST teacher!

madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 4

Get a spray bottle that is used just for this, and mist the sides so it will stick. Not the top ~ just the sides...keep it to a very tiny mist...I sometimes forget, and just lift the side up and give it a spray....I have never tried dabbing it with a damp paper towel like sugarshack does in her dvd.s, but thats another way. Butter cream and smooth then chill well...then roll out fondant and bring in that tier and cover, then roll out for next tier and cover that and so on....bring out of fridge as you are ready to cover so its nice and cold, this way if you have ot move the fondant it wont mess up bc.....you can moisten the sides however ya want but very very small amount will work....you dont want the fondant getting wet, especially on the good side.....hth

TheCakeLab Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #4 of 4

thank you very much for the tip!! i'll be sure to try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%