Help How To Get Darker Color In Fondant???

Decorating By bigwheals Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 2:54am by bigwheals

bigwheals Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 7

I am learning to color my fondant but when I try making black or darker colors I use so much gel to color with my fondant starts to mushy! I really need help if you have anything for me post it thanks...

6 replies
illustreeous Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

darker colors tend to get sticky because you have to add ALOT and i mean ALOT of bottles/gels
use powdered sugar to help the mushy part.

did you buy it? or make it?
if you are making the fondant @ home its easiest to mix it in before forming the dough :]

bigwheals Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 7

Hey I make it at home but I make all my fondant white then the day I need to color it I add the gel so can I add the powder sugar then?

sweetpea223 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 7

when I want black fondant, i started with chocolate fondant... then later I got lazy coloring, so I buy my fondants colored. Altho I don't buy all the colors, I just buy one that is my main color and buy a white one and tint whatever I need.

illustreeous Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:47am
post #5 of 7

The next batch you make mix the darker colors like red & black before forming the dough
you use the powdered sugar while rolling and handling the dough - cover your work surface & hands with the sugar or sprinkle it on the dough itself. LITTLE by LITTLE & if you accidently add too much and it dries out just use a little shortening

remember any of this while slightly alter the taste whether it makes it sweeter or what not.

jenscreativity Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 7

Use americolor brand...don't have to add too much

bigwheals Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:54am
post #7 of 7

I use the ameri-color brand and its great I will try to add the color while forming the dough. I have really started to hate making black not just sticky but it falls apart just touching it. I hope to get a hold on the black thanks for the help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%