Cake Scam - Cathy J Labella

Decorating By Godiva Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:43am by kelleym

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:43am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangiecakes

Does anyone know of a scam with a Rev Johnson wanting coookie and cupcakes and cake?

I am very of people now due to so many scam emails ...

I also got an email from a Rev Chris Curtis Todd
Hello,
With regards to your services and products,I am Rev Chris and would like to place an order for the items listed below. Gift Basket 60 pcs with chocolate,cookies, biscuit and cakes for each basket $50 per Basket. Church anniversary cake white and blue 5 units boxed Cupcakes 100 units Kindly advice pricing,availability and what you can offer ? Looking forward to hear from you..Chris

I also got the Cathy email as well.

Both sounded fishy glad I googled Cathy.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookycutter

My person's name was Mrs. Amen Nicholas. Why do they fake that they are deaf or hearing impaired? Why wouldn't a hearing impaired person just email a baker? Why use the relay call? There are just better ways of running a scam in my opinion. This is one of the most bone-headed things I have encountered.

1. The service is free. No long distance charges.
2. Their call is untraceable.
3. The call will not reveal any "foreign" accent that would give them away as a scammer.

I think it's tragic that people continue to fall for this. And yes, it happens with any type of product that can be bought or sold. Even in the ballroom dancing world, it happens with ball gowns and even dance lessons. For instance:

Quote:
Quote:

> Greetings
> My name is Peter Schuller. I would like to book for 2 weeks dance
> classes for 3 hours each day Monday to Saturday (morning hours) for a
> group of 12. The group would be performing for a group of family
> members over there.
>
> We are asking for 3 hours per day
for 2 weeks - Monday - Saturday. A
> total of 36 hrs. We would be coming over for holiday and as part of
> our plans we need dance classes as well as choreography in ANY of the
> following area Ballet, belly dance and Pre-Dance as well as Salsa,
> Swing,Tango and Ballroom. Do you teach any of the above? If not, let
> me have the types of dances you teach.
>
> Do you have a training studio/facility where you conduct the classes?
> Do you have guest rooms or any 3 star hotel close to your facility?
>
> DATE: 5TH JULY TO 19TH JULY 2009
>
> I would love to get the total cost or a quote/estimate. What are your
> payment options? Do you accept credit cards? If yes, do you a
> POS/credit card machine in your office?
>
> Your swift response is highly needed. No attachments please.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> Peter Schuller
> 74
Queensborough Terrace
> Bayswater
> London W2

The only thing we can do is continue to try to educate people until this particular scam becomes unprofitable for the low-life scum who literally will steal your time and your money if you let them.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:25am
post #33 of 38

what do they accomplish on the dance scam? since there is no shipping charges, what do they get out of it?

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #34 of 38

I inquired about a puppy on craigslist about a year ago. Yorkie, free to good home. Knew it wasn't what it seemed, because that's too good to be true, but I was curious. They emailed me back right away and said I would just pay about $170 to have said dog shipped to the states because the poor thing just hated the tropical climate that this military family had been stationed in. Mind you, I live in Fl. I also find it sickening that they are using the military as a ruse, but that's just me and my sensetivity on the subject. You can't trust anyone anymore. icon_sad.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #35 of 38

Well it's arrived in New Zealand. This is what I got today and as I have read here about these scammers I knew that it is scam. Anyway if it's too good to be true then don't touch it. Unfortunately he didn't give me enough info and perhaps he wants me to send them to the US. lol.
"Hello
With regards to your services and products,I am Rev,James and would like to place an order
for the items listed below. Gift Basket 60 pcs with chocolate,cookies, biscuit and cakes
for each basket $50 per Basket. Church anniversary cake white and blue 5 units boxed
Cupcakes 100 units Kindly advice pricing,availability and what you can offer ? Looking
forward to hear from you..James"
Tempted to string him along but really haven't the time.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:52am
post #36 of 38

STUPID
CLUELESS
AMBITIOUS
MALPRACTICE

I decided I would send a quick message and highlighted the first letters. thumbsdown.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #37 of 38

I received similar emails in regards to a house cleaning ad I posted.

My friend received a similar email in reference to her business where she teaches cake decorating.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a fact of life these days with the world of technology that we live in.

If I wouldn't miss this site so much I would long for the good old days where we didn't have computers. So that cashiers knew how to give change or what to do when they screwed something up. There was no automated phone operators, so you could get a real, live person when you called anywhere. No caught in voice mail #@%!.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:43am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

what do they accomplish on the dance scam? since there is no shipping charges, what do they get out of it?

From this dance site http://www.ridance.com/DanceNewsOct06/20061019_CON.html

The con artist sends you an email asking about prices. If you reply, you will get an email asking for multiple private classes and how much for the total.

When they receive the total and confirm the classes, they send you a certified check. However for any number of reasons the certified check,money order or gift cheque will be for substantially more than the classes.

The con artist will ask you to cash the check and either return the extra money or send the money on to someone else. And as a honest instructor, you will do so. However the check will be a fraud and by the time your bank notifies you, your money will be long gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%