Vanilla Buttercream That Is Not Overly Sweet?

Baking By Mpage Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 8:00am by JessDesserts

Mpage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mpage Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

My name is Megan I am fairly new to CakeCentral (have been lurking for a month or so now) and I have learned so much from all of you already! I am just a at home baker (my way of relieving stress). I am going to make some orange cream cupcakes and am looking for a vanilla buttercream that is not overly sweet. I was thinking about just cutting it with some heavy cream but I am not sure if that will work (consistency wise to pipe with large star tip)

Does anyone have any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction. I am looking for a true vanilla flavor but without going into a powder sugar coma!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

Well...It depends on whether you want a crusting BC or whipped bakery style...I personally love the WBH icing which doesn't crust and is soft and whipped but not sweet.My customers love it but many people here do not so it is all about preference.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 7

I have heard that some just add a little salt to their buttercream to lighten the sweetness. But if you use salt, you may want to dissolve it before adding it to you icing. You wouldn't want salt crystals showing up it your icing.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 7

Before I went to pastry school, all I ever made was 'american buttercream' ( ya know just plain 'ol butter and powdered sugar type)

Until I was introduced to meringue-style buttercreams. Personally, I prefer Italian meringue buttercream but swiss is great too.

There are recipes everywhere as well as great video tutorials to help you get started.

GL

Mpage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mpage Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

Before I went to pastry school, all I ever made was 'american buttercream' ( ya know just plain 'ol butter and powdered sugar type)

Until I was introduced to meringue-style buttercreams. Personally, I prefer Italian meringue buttercream but swiss is great too.

There are recipes everywhere as well as great video tutorials to help you get started.

GL

Can you tell me what the difference between the two meringues is? Which one is less sweet?

Thanks!!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

GL

Can you tell me what the difference between the two meringues is? Which one is less sweet?

Thanks!!!!!

The above recipes differ in the preparation/method used. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6927/very-vanilla-swiss-meringue-buttercream

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2426/italian-meringue-buttercream-shirleys-method

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7381/italian-meringue-buttercream-imbc

HTH

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:00am
post #7 of 7

of course! IMBC is made by heating the sugar & water first, then adding the heated syrup to whipped egg whites & mixing until cool, then adding butter.

SMBC heats the egg whites & sugar together, then whips it until its cool. Then you add butter at the end.

Theres also the less popular French buttercream, but thats very difficult to work with and IMHO it just tastes like butter.

As far as which is less sweet, I think its really what you prefer. Maybe try and make a batch of both and see what you prefer.

HTH & GL.

jess

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%