Friends/family Entitlement? A Little Mad....

Decorating By jo3d33 Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 3:45am by thatslifeca

jo3d33 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 14

Am I the only one who's friends/family think since they know someone who bakes and decorates cakes they shouldn't have to pay for them? Im getting really annoyed with people wanting something for nothing and then when they DO say they will pay for them, they SHORT ME AT DELIVERY!!!! Would you go to the hair dresser and say Oh, thanks for the cut and color, I know you said it would be $100 but I only have $80 is that ok? URGH!!!!

13 replies
cakedout Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 14

I think we have all been there! icon_confused.gif

TabbieCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 14

No. It's not okay!

I don't know if you give friends/family a discount, but if you do, you should tell them that since you're basically doing it for cost (if that's the case, or at least close to the case), you need the money up front in order to pay for supplies.

That way they know they're getting a discount and you have your money up front!

No supplies, no cake.

Sorry they're driving you nuts. Seems like family/friends have a special knack for that icon_sad.gif

strathmore Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 14

I had that recently from a school mum who asked me short notice for a cake. I had been warned about her but gave here the benefit of the doubt since it was heresay. Anyway I rang her the day before and said its payment on pickup I would hate for your girl to miss out on her birthday cake. I rang her the Sunday morning at 930am as we arranged it to be ready at 2 but let her know I had finished. She said she did not know what time but would let me know so I said ok then 2 is the time we agreed will see you then or before. She never turned up. I gave the cake to a friend who exchanged me some horse hay she had. I bailed up the other woman at school a couple of days later - I don't think I will see the money but we are a small community and she is getting known for it. She even left a note on my door on Monday morning apologising and saying she would ring me. I said to her on Wednesday I am still waiting for your call. I think the best thing said to me is that no good deed goes unpunished.

vtcake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 14

just have them buy the supplies up front.

GenGen Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 14

i prefer to have them pay me, then *I* buy the supplies. have had too many times ppl buying the wrong stuff even after getting a list or knowing what their supposed to get etc.

cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 14

I don't let anyone buy the stuff up front anymore. I let my niece do it for a wedding cake I made her, and I ended up making 2 trips into town, once because she forgot to buy something and once because she forgot to give me something. I even told her...I will be there on Friday to pick up all the stuff, so you need to have all the stuff together by then. I made her a four tier wedding cake as a wedding gift, I told her all she had to do was buy the stuff to make it. It had gumpaste flowers and the whole nine yards. UGH. Family can really drive you crazy sometimes.

cakesbycathy Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 14

I'm feeling ornery tonight so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Start putting your foot down. With everyone. If they think they can take advantage of you they will. If someone has shafted you in the past and comes looking for cake try being flat out honest and telling them:
"No, sorry last time you screwed me so I won't be making any more cakes for you unless you want to pay $xx up front."

This is not just for you but for anyone who gets taken advantage of. We teach others how to treat us.

CakeDiva101 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 14

I have to agree with cakesbycathy. I'm gilty myself of letting some people (my mother in law for example) take advantage of my cake baking/decorating, so she can look good to her friends. I put a stop to that! When MIL called me and told me somebody at her work really "loves" my cakes and would like to have something very impresive but couldn't afford it, she (MIL) asked if I would do it for free!!!! I must have been PMSing but I asked her what would happen if she went to Walmart or any other store and say she wanted a very impressive, custom cake for free? I said my response would be the same.....no! if I can't afford something, I don't buy it! that simple! MIL no longer ask me to do free cakes! icon_wink.gif

Apti Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:29am
post #10 of 14

jo3D33, As I began baking more and more hobby cakes (that I've made for free so far), I became very interested in what it would cost someone else to purchase the ingredients that go into my cakes. I based my calculations on a doctored cake mix from Anne Byrn (WASC) and pretty standard IndyDebi BC, 2 8" rounds or one 10" or one 12" round. I'll PM you with my chart. (I know there are pricing matrix's here, but I don't know how to do them on a computer, so I just did it the old-fashioned way.)

If they were to pay you for the ingredients/supplies, the cake/BC/supplies would be $14.97 before tax. If you added fondant/gumpaste, it would be an additional $9.29 before tax. The total would be $24.26 before tax for a 4" high, 8" round, fondant cake with BC under the fondant and fondant decorations. That's not including labor, equipment, oven usage, washing up hot water costs, labor, etc. Of course, I buy everything I can on sale or with coupons, but the prices I used were "everyday--non sale, non-coupon prices.

madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #11 of 14

NO wonder I am putting us in the poor house giving cakes away hehehehe...oopsies

ycknits Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #12 of 14

I tell my friends and family that I'd be happy to decorate a cake for them IF I have time. If I don't want a specific individual to take advantage of me, I simply don't have time that week.

I also tell them that I won't accept "pay" but that I would appreciate it if, instead, they make a donation to Birthday Cakes 4 Free Minnesota. Then, when they pick up the cake, I give them a printed out brochure along with directions on where to send the check and a note to attach to their check. I get a note back when the check is received in appreciation for one of my cakes. If they don't donate, then I don't bake again :>)

PennieK Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #13 of 14

A couple of years ago I did a four tier wedding cake for my sister. She agreed to pay me $200 and she gave me swatches of the colors and told me I could do whatever I wanted. Then she refused to pay me anything because I made two of the layers blue and used pink flowers and she claimed she wanted an all white cake. icon_mad.gif

thatslifeca Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:45am
post #14 of 14

Many moons ago when my sister had her 1st daughter she asked me if I would do her 1st birthday cake....simple 10' square (big family), so I did it as my gift. My sister spend the whole year complaining that since I had been doing this for a living she expected something more. When my niece was turning 2, my sister asked if I could do a princess cake, I agreed and quoted her $xx, she paid me half and complained. This year my niece is turning sweet 16, my sister again has asked me to do her cake (4 tiers, all different pillows, with cinderella glass slipper on top). I asked her if she had the money to may for the cake. My sisters response was " but your retired now, what could you possibly have to do?, my response "nothing but your daughters cake, if you can pay the $2000 I want for the cake!!!". I think she won't be asking me for cake anymore LOL. I've found that if I give them a quote on a cake I know they can't afford, then they leave me alone. LOL. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%