Is There A Trick To Chocolate Chip Cake?

Baking By MandyCakez Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 4:31am by redpanda

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make a Chocolate Chip Cake for a little boys birthday and i'm wondering if there is a trick to preventing the chocolate chips from sticking to the bottom of the pan?I've made a few sample cakes and have had no such luck.I've tried lightly coating them in flour and i've tried placing them on top of the cake.Both have resulted with the chips at the bottom still. icon_sad.gif

Any other ideas?

9 replies
Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

Use mini chips and shake them in flour before you add to the batter. Only mix until just combined.

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 10

Hi, I just made one (the tractor cake in my pics) and wrecked 2 layers before I got smart and put parchment paper in the bottom of my pans. I sprayed the pans with cooking spray, put parchment cut to fit the bottom down, and sprayed the top of the parchment lightly with more cooking spray. I also used mini-chips so they wouldn't all sink. It's kind of a pain, but worth the extra step to be sure the cakes come out in one piece! icon_smile.gif

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 10

I tried Teresa1976s suggestion but with cupcakes and mine still sank. However, I think I used too many. I'll be watching this hoping for a solution as well!

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 10

I only use about 1/2 cup of mini's for doctored DH mix. I also have only done chocolate chip cup cakes. I would surely do the parchment thing for a cake, good idea.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 10

Try adding 1tablespoon of flour extra to the cake batter. Use mini chocolate chips and stir them into thebowl of batter.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 10

I was dreaming about chocolate chip cake last night for some reason.. thanks for asking this question

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 10

Mini chips work great. I have made a couple of cakes "polka dotted" using mini chips. Just pour some in stir, pan and bake. No problems.

One note, I didn't bang the H--- out of those cakes to remove air bubbles.

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Mini chips work great. I have made a couple of cakes "polka dotted" using mini chips. Just pour some in stir, pan and bake. No problems.

One note, I didn't bang the H--- out of those cakes to remove air bubbles.

Thanks!I'm going to try this in the morning!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:31am
post #10 of 10

If you use pudding in a doctored mix, it thickens the batter. which helps with keeping chips suspended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%