Georgia Cottage Food Act

Decorating By ALR1955 Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 8:51pm by CakeEvolution

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 47

Is there anyone out there working on a petition for the Cottage Food Act for Georgia?

46 replies
julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 47

Or Illinois? icon_wink.gif

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 47

or Pennsylvania? icon_smile.gif

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 47

I have not heard of anything in Georgia but I would love to see something change. At one time there was something going around that if you didn't sell more than $5,000/year you could do out of home and not inspected but it didn't pass. I am only doing for my grandchildren but might push a little if it was legal. I work full time so mine would definitely be less than $5,000. icon_smile.gif

ALR1955 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 47

Anyone out there interested in tackling this petition?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 47

A petition should only be considered as a supplemental instrument. It will not do any good by itself; you need someone willing to meet with elected representatives, make a case for a cottage food bill, and mobilize the Georgia bakers who are interested in seeing it pass.

If anybody is interested in doing this, you can email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to share information.

2xMiMi Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 47

I am strictly a hobby baker at this time as I work full time for major airline and time is limited. Unfortunately my time is limited but if anyone does have the time and gets this going I will definately sign petition. icon_smile.gif

ALR1955 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 47

2xMiMi I take it you are in Georgia. Up by Atlanta? I am in the SouthEast. I will keep you posted.

2xMiMi Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 47

Yes - I am just south of the airport.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:14am
post #10 of 47

I am in Atlanta, GA and I will also help tackle the Georgia legislature. Perhaps we can set up a Facebook chat and get online. I will also provide anyone else with an out line of what you need to do to get legislation written. Just remember we need support from both sides of the house and we will be stepping on pretty big toes, but what the heck, let's work now and get this done. Just send me a pm so we can get started.

ALR1955 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 47

Please send me any info you may have. Thanks!

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:59am
post #12 of 47

I also live in Georgia (Valdosta) and would be interested in helping to get legislation passed. Please pm me with any info that you all have come up with.

jenleach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenleach Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:20am
post #13 of 47

I would be more than willing to help out however I can. I have a friend that is a state Senator (who happens to be a fan of my baking) and a friend's father who is a state representative. I am sure between the two of them I might be able to get a discussion going. Has anyone acted on this yet?

I would love to legally bake full time but without the headache of a bakery. I am willing to do whatever I can for the cause.

Jennifer

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #14 of 47
chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:47am
post #15 of 47

i'm up in the northeast corner, in stephens county. i would be so ecstatic if a home baker law was passed. if anyone has any info on how things are progressing, or need any help, pm me here. i can also add you on my facebook so i can be notified on there too.

ALR1955 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 47

Tea42,
From what I can understand that it is stating as long as you provide a label on your food item you can sale your item at farmers markets etc. I could be wrong I am not an expert. I would love to know what you find out.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 47

I am in Thomasville, south Georgia. I would like information if possible and to help in any way.

MamaSara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaSara Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 47

I would be willing to do what ever I can to help the cause. We are in southeastern GA. I moved here from Ohio where i had a full blown residential Bakery. Coming here has been a huge let down for me! Let me know if I can help in any way!

nidachi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidachi Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 47

Hi everyone, I am also new to Georgia (southeastern part). I too would love to help in anyway I can.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 47

It seems like there are quite a few of us interested in helping to get something started. Does anyone know what the first steps would be?

leeyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeyn Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:01am
post #21 of 47

. At one time there was something going around that if you didn't sell more than $5,000/year you could do out of home and not inspected but it didn't pass. ããããã

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:14am
post #22 of 47

I think it varies from county to county. In a brief conversation with an inspector from the Thomas County Health Department, he said you could cook out of your kitchen, but could not make over a certain amount monthly. Anything over that amount would require a separate home kitchen. Also, depending on which one you do determines what jurisdiction it falls under, Department of Agriculture or Health Department. I didn't probe to far because he was on his lunch hour.

nidachi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidachi Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #23 of 47

I recently contacted the Georgia Department of Agriculture and they emailed me the following Basic Regulatory Requirements.

http://www.files.georgia.gov/AGR/Files/Basic%20Regulatory%20Requirements.pdf

This came from

Natalie Adan
Consumer Protection Division
Georgia Department of Agriculture
Capitol Square Room 306
Atlanta, GA 30334

2xMiMi Posted 12 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 47

Unfortunately I am not able to spend the time needed for this but just curious if anyone else has been able to make progress. If so thanks for sharing anything and thanks for your time in working on this

2xMiMi Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #25 of 47

It is my understanding that you can't sell anything (no matter what the amount is) from your home without being licensed and totally separate kitchen and this is state wide not county to county. Has anyone been able to obtain anything in writing from the state or their county to state otherwise. icon_smile.gif

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:09am
post #26 of 47

The state of GA does allow home businesses with a separate kitchen (cannot be your primary kitchen). The counties have the option of accepting or rejecting it. My county does not allow home baking businesses. I do not have this in writing, just information I received when I was inspected by the Dept of Agriculture. I am finding the people answering the phones are not the ones that need to be answering our questions. We need to be speaking to the actual inspectors to get the answers we need. Unfortunately, most of them are in the field and do not work out of offices.

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:16pm
post #27 of 47

Add me to the list of wanting to help! I'm in the metro area. I've corresponded with both the Dept. of Agriculture and The Secretary of State. If anyone's interested in seeing what they sent me, send me a message and I'll forward it along.
The amendment that was posted--does anyone know if it passed? Or if it's been voted upon yet?
It reads to me as though if that were passed, home kitchens (especially custom cake kitchens) would be perfectly legal as long as the customers understand that they're getting un-inspected food and then incur any liability from consuming it. Is that what everyone else reads?
In any case, I would love to get a Facebook group going or something like that so we could share information/mobilize. Let me know what you guys think!

2xMiMi Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #28 of 47

Sara_Bee - just curious where you live. I am on the south side.

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #29 of 47

Hey there! I'm in Cobb.

2xMiMi Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #30 of 47

I am in Fayette. Maybe the laws in GA can be changed. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%