Whipped Cream As A Frosting?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm by floral1210

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 3

I have a request for a birthday cake with whipped cream instead of buttercream. She is willing to sacrifice the design for having whipped cream.

The request is for Star Wars or soccer theme for an 11 year old boy.

Is there a way to stabilize the whipped cream so I can use it as a filling? Is it even possible to use it on the outside of the cake. How on earth do I do any decorating with whipped cream as my base?! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 3

I use the one posted on the Wilton site. It holds up to piping borders and I have used it to form my "dam" between layers and my filling has never seeped.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Stabilized-Whipped-Cream-Icing-1

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 3

I had the same concern a while back with a communion cake I was asked to do. While I did not use the whipped cream as a filling, I did use it on the cake. I agonized over it, but to my surprise, it was wonderful to work with. There is a recipe on here for Stabilized Whipped Cream (I think it is actually called Amazing Stabilized Whipped Cream). You can also buy a pre-made stabilizer in the baking section of the grocery store...it is called Whipit by Dr. Oeteker, I believe. It is wonderful. You can also add powdered sugar, etc. to give a bit more body, as well. The cake is in my photos (God Bless Ryan). The stained glass window was a FBCT, which I was concerned would be too heavy atop the whipped cream, but it was fine! All of the borders, etc. were done with the whipped cream, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%