How To Keep Purple Fondant Or Icing Purple?

Decorating By sumerae Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 5:41am by Evoir

sumerae Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

I've how some people have problems with their purple turning colors. I wanted to use Americolor coloring but when I went to the local cake store, they didn't have americolor violet, I already have wiltons violet, I'll have to use that but any tips? I don't want it to change colors! (it's a princess and the frog cake)

8 replies
Cakegirl313 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

Not sure if you are using fondant but I have heard that you add 1 tsp. baking soda per pound of fondant for dark colors to prevent fading. I haven't tried this yet but thought it was worth a shot. Good Luck!!!

sumerae Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakegirl313

Not sure if you are using fondant but I have heard that you add 1 tsp. baking soda per pound of fondant for dark colors to prevent fading. I haven't tried this yet but thought it was worth a shot. Good Luck!!!

I'm using Satin Ice with the Wilton Violet, should I mix the color in the fondant first and then the baking soda, or baking soda first then fondant?

chelleb1974 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 9

This might not help you for now, but for future reference.....powdered colors should not fade at all. I get mine from Crystal Colors, but I'm sure other companies sell it.

~Chelle

Cakegirl313 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 9

Actually i'm not sure, I think I would add it before the color so that you could get a good fondant texture like you would normally before adding in the color. I hope someone else might know the answer to this one.

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 9

I have found that Americolor Violet is terrible for fading to a grey...but if you use Regal Purple..It does not....

sumerae Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 9

I have the electric purple from americolor, but for princess and the frog, I think that's too bright!

I'll have take a little piece and practice.

i read about the crystal colors, I don't have to get them before needing them Fri.

Evoir Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:18am
post #8 of 9

I have added some deep pink and electric purple to REGAL purple to get a lovely deep purple. Its worth experimenting with what you have on hand before buying more supplies.

Evoir Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:41am
post #9 of 9

I have added some deep pink and electric purple to REGAL purple to get a lovely deep purple. Its worth experimenting with what you have on hand before buying more supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%