What Brought You To Cc???

Decorating By scoutmamma Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm by sweetmonkeycheese

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 31

A little over 2 yrs ago, i went online searching for a neat idea for my son's third birthday... and today is his 5th birthday... which got me thinking... what brought some of my fellow cakers and bakers to this awesome site???

30 replies
mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 31

I had just finished Wilton classes. Googled Cake decorating forums and found this site. Been here ever since and have learned so much from this site.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 31

I needed to know how to make the roses from 3 circles for a quick last minute cake.
Been hanging around ever since.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 31

I was looking for my wedding cake and came across this site then I forgot it and having signed up then came across it again when I started getting really interested.

I been here ever since lurking and chiming in when I think I could help. icon_biggrin.gif

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 31

Google! Nearly 3 years ago a friend asked me to make a leaving cake and decorate it. In a panic I searched how to cover a cake and up popped cake central. I've learned everything I know from the amazing people here and am seriously addicted. xx

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 31

Trying to solve a problem with my edible printer..I can't believe I never ran across CC before that...I spent hours reading old posts, as I'm sure we all have..

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 31

A few years ago I'd been researching for a cake design or maybe for a technique or something, I can't quite remember and my Google search brought me here. Didn't join right away though ... had that cake to do! A while later I was again researching for an idea/method/technique and again it brought me back here. This time I had more of a chance to really look around the site and was amazed at what there was to offer! So I finally joined and though I don't post on forums often, nor have I started my own thread, I read and read and read and read as many threads as I can. Such a wealth of knowledge, tricks, etc. It's been my saving grace a few times now.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 31

I was snooping around the web and found this site..Been here ever since and that was 6 years ago!!

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 31

Another forum I participate on was talking about Duff's cakes/website so I was looking at it and they mentioned this site. I tried for weeks to check it out but I think it was during the crash because it would only work intermittently. I was determined to check it out though because the little glimpses I got looked great and eventually it worked.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 31

Took a Wilton class and my instructer recommended this site. Been addicted ever since.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 31

My son was only a few months old and I started thinking about birthday cakes. I'm a total cake snob and refused to entertain the idea of serving up Walmart cakes for all the future birthdays and events, but the idea of paying $80+ for them all and hoping my friend who makes all my cakes will be around for the next 18+ years was daunting. I've always enjoyed baking so I decided to take the Wilton courses and try my hand at decorating. Since I don't do anything halfway, I was doing research online and came across the site. I spent most of my time in the gallery admiring evryone's talent and then eventually discovered the forum. Now I'm addicted and try to soak up knowledge and ideas every chance I get. It's only been 5 months, but I'm enjoying decorating. Of course, all my practicing is not helping me lose my baby weight!

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 31

I am fascinated with beautiful cakes and was performing a google search hoping to locate web sites which contained decorated cakes. I stumbled across CC and have been addicted ever since. I do not possess the talent many have on here, but I still enjoy viewing the hundreds (thousands??) of gorgeous cakes, cupcakes and cookies! I also enjoy trying out the recipes so many have grasciously shared.

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 31

I woke up one morning and decided I want to learn how to decorate a cake. I looked on you tube for a couple of days and got some good direction. I then wen to Michael's and started my collection of cake decorating equipment. I did my first cake which turned out ok. The next cake, I needed someone to ask questions to or even vent to about the cake. My husband was a great ear but really did not quite understand what I was going through. I then looked online for more cake decorating tips and ran across this website. I love it here. I check this everyday like it is my e-mail or even facebook. My DH feels so left out sometimes.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 31

Like OP I was searching for idea for a cake for my 3 year olds birthday cake. Firetucks, of course. Been on everyday since.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 31

My friend and I were discussing the design for one of her kids cakes and she sent me a link to a cake on here. I just never left.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 31

at the time i was working in a chain store bakery and was really limited to what we could do. I worked with some other great decorators who really peaked my interest in what else was out there. So I googled my questions (have no idea what it was since it was over 6 years ago now) and i've been here ever since.

I have gone on a couple of hiatisus b/c i was on here sooo much (yes it's crack central not cake central) but always came back. Now i check it a couple times a day right along with facebook and my email icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 31

Well, I hate to admit it, but I was one of those that was like, "they want how much for that cake." Little did I know. But I was always a baker, so I just couldn't understand why they were so expensive. School of hardknocks baby. I found out quick. I think that is us cakers problem...we need to educate the public with the intense labor that goes into the actual decorating of these cakes...cake shows make it look like it can be done in an hour. THAT'S JUST SO WRONG. I came looking for a cake design well I guess its probably a little over a year ago, with no clue, and gracious sakes the wealth of knowledge I have accumulated since then. I went from being able to just bake a cake and ice it mediocre to some half way decent looking cakes. I have even won 3 awards with my cakes. I am no where near the level of expertise of many on here, but I keep on keeping on. Yes, everyone, I am a cakecentral addict.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #18 of 31

I had just taken a class and the instructor mentioned a cake site, when I got home I didn't remember the name so I typed something in google found CC and have been here ever since. Love it, still learning and trying to get better.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 31

I was in a Wilton Class and was trying to figure out how to smooth my buttercream. I found Edna on youtube and some rose tutorials. Then when I needed some design help I found CC. My instructor didn't know about the website. I just recently gave her some of my past issues of CC. I hope she joins because she is very talented.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 31

I had finished my Wilton classes and was curious what else I could do. I did a Google search and it led me here! thumbs_up.gif

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:26am
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimido

I had just finished Wilton classes. Googled Cake decorating forums and found this site. Been here ever since and have learned so much from this site.

Ditto

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #22 of 31

I got into cake decorating about five years ago when I decided to make all my the desserts for my son's first birthday bash. Wasn't much of a baker, but have a strong creative side and ended up liking it, but since I had a small child, fancy baking soon fell by the wayside.

As he got older I picked it up again and would go on Wilton's website for ideas and tips for family birthdays and holidays.

Then one day while searching for some Wilton's products on Amazon.com, I saw a review by someone who said they hated the taste of Wilton's fondant (I did too, but thought it was just me and that it was supposed to taste that way!) This reviewer said she no longer buys fondant since she found an easy, cheap way to make delicious fondant on a website called Cake Central.

Cheap, easy AND IT TASTES GOOD!!! I could not believe it and absolutely had to check out that site.

Been here reading, learning, posting and enjoying my CC addiction ever since!

Love being a part of this community of people who get it icon_wink.gif

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #23 of 31

My Wilton Instructor gave the class a mmf recipe printed from the cc site, so I decided to check it out. I love this site!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I was snooping around the web and found this site..Been here ever since...

That's how I found CC!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bigwheals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigwheals Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #25 of 31

I was shopping in a little cake store called sugar bakers and bought the cc magazine and about half way through the book I found the cc website and fell in love I check it daily along with my facebook and website!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #26 of 31

A student in my cake class mentioned it one night. Been on here ever since. Love it

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #27 of 31

When I find a new hobby I dive in head first and try to find out any info I can. I googled "Cake Decorating Forums" and that led me here. I've been lurking for a few months and have learned so much!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:34am
post #28 of 31

Like several others, I took the Wilton classes in March 2010 and then obsessively began googling all the cool stuff they don't teach at Michaels. Found this site, and, like Leily, it's been "crack central" ever since.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:02am
post #29 of 31

I was browsing through Charm City Cakes website and they had a link to CC as a great resource. Now I'm addicted and I tell everyone about it. It's my go to for ideas, tips, recipes and just generally browsing. A couple other cc-ers said it best "crack central"...yeah that's about right.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:07am
post #30 of 31

I was given a gift certificate to start taking cake decorating classes from my kids for Mother's Day this year. I've always baked - lots and lots and lots - so they decided it was time I learned how to be more creative with my decorating. I took all 3 Wilton classes, but not at Michael's. We have a small cake decorating supply store called Cake Castle here in town, and that's where I took the classes from a Wilton instructor. She was really good and I enjoyed the classes immensely. One day while at Cake Castle, I asked a question and the sales person suggested I contact CC and I could probably find the answer. Well, I've been here ever since and I, too, check it out every day I'm in town. (We have a cabin in the mountains so this time of year I'm only home about 3-4 days of the week, and up there the rest of the time.) I've received a lot of help and ideas from the people on this site, and look forward to learning more from all of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%